Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC install advice

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

FTTC install advice

Hi
I am preparing to upgrade to FTTC but the master socket is not conveniently located for power or the router etc.
I am going to run external grade cat 5e cable outside the house to a better location for the FTTC modem & router etc.
I understand that BT Openreach will fit a VDSL master socket faceplate filter and would hopefully connect the cat 5e to the faceplate filter.
Can I please ask whether BT Openreach would supply a socket & terminate the cat 5e cable at the modem site?
If this is unlikely what type of socket (RJ45 ?) would be compatible with the plug on the end of the Openreach modem cable?
Thanks
Richard
2 REPLIES 2
xreyuk
Grafter

Re: FTTC install advice

When you order you have the option to choose a socket extension kit that the BT engineer will fit for you. That will can anywhere within 10 metres of the original.
I'm not sure how keen BT would be installing on the end of your own jumpering.
kgk86
Grafter

Re: FTTC install advice

The VDSL plates have an extension terminal block the same as the POTS plate.
If you can't come to an agreeable solution with the socket jockey, run your cat 5, punch down at the master end on the back of the VDSL plate, not the POTS plate and fit an RJ11 faceplate at the other end.
Tbh the engineer should do it for you but if he\she won't, ask them to leave you an VDSL extension socket to terminate onto your Cat 5