cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC install OR modem position

HaresEar
Grafter

FTTC install OR modem position

I am considering FTTC when my current contract finishes. However from what I have read that if I go with Plusnet I will have to have an Openreach modem fitted which then links to my PN or other ADSL modem.
Does the Openreach FTTC modem have to be fitted next to the master /nte5 socket?  I ask because my nte5 is on the ground floor but amy modem is upstairs so that I can use a lan connection. I I do not want an ugly box in my living room. Roll_eyes
What would put me off is having to run a new cable to my PC. 
6 REPLIES 6
digitalham
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: FTTC install OR modem position

All FTTC installs are done by Openreach so the requirements are the same for all ISPs. The modem goes near the master socket which gets fitted with a new filtered faceplate. You can order an extension cable for the modem but I'm not sure of the maximum length and if the installer would be happy to run it upstairs. If you go with BT you'll have the HomeHub5 instead of the modem/router and the positioning requirement for that will be the same. I guess you could have the master socket moved but I imagine that would be chargeable and not cheap knowing BT.
oliverb
Grafter

In that position I think I'd install an Ethernet cable with a socket next to the VDSL faceplate and a socket upstairs where you want the router. Then I'd just have to figure a neat way to hide the modem.
Alternatively if your signal is good the VDSL faceplates have dedicated extension terminals for broadband, and if you wire an extension in good category 5 or 6 cable to an extension socket the difference in signal should be negligible.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

You need to specify the Data Extension Kit when ordering. This lets the engineer site the modem up to 30 metres away from the master socket.
HaresEar
Grafter

Thanks for the info. There is no way I want an Openreach modem in my living room.  So fibre is definitely not for me.
TORPC
Grafter

Some people hide their OR modem behind the TV's or even in the TV cabinet
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@HaresEar - If you get the Data Extension Kit, the modem can be fitted at the far end.
(a) Normal installation. [tt]Master socket (with new interstitial/filter plate fitted) <---> Modem <---> Router <---> Your LAN[/tt]
(b) With Data Extension kit. [tt]Master socket (as above) <----------------- Up to 30m CAT5 cable ----------------> Modem <---> Router <---> Your LAN[/tt]
So, with Option (b) your modem can be up to 30 metres away from the living room.