cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC high latency and dropped packets - possibly due to FTTP rollout

rubymoon
Hooked

FTTC high latency and dropped packets - possibly due to FTTP rollout

First, credit to Plus.net: I've not even thought about my internet connection for years since it's been so solid.

How do I go about diagnosing high latency & dropped packets?

Until the end of October, typically my BQM looks like this...

Sat 29 Oct 22Sat 29 Oct 22

Since then my BQM looks nasty...

Sat 26 Nov 22Sat 26 Nov 22

The latency has not been too much of an issue, but the dropped packets are causing me major grief.

I've got an OpenReach modem (ECI Modem B-FOCus V-2FUb/i Rev B) and LinkSys WRT 1900ACS router.

The modem is locked down and I can't figure out how to access line stats?

I've rebooted all equipment, and tested with nothing connected but the modem.

I'm not usually into conspiracy theories, but the start of my issue coincides with seeing some dudes up the local power poles installing what looks like FTTP stuff - are they trying to force FTTP upgrades by degrading FTTC service!?

Please advise how I can get this resolved.

4 REPLIES 4
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Re: FTTC high latency and dropped packets - possibly due to FTTP rollout

Your latest BQM suggests you have a fair amount of traffic flowing through your router 24 hours a day. 

I suggest switching off your attached devices, ensure the BQM shows no traffic/yellow then turn things back on, one at a time to see what may be causing the problem.

HTH

rubymoon
Hooked

Thanks for reply... it's a little alarming though! I've no idea what might be causing traffic.

I thought I tested with no traffic, but perhaps it was too brief. I'l test again more carefully.

What exactly suggests high traffic? The yellow maximum latency graph?

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

@rubymoon   even on your first the yellow is showing 24 hours a day - normally I would expect no yellow when you are asleep, showing some if you are working and/or a bit more in the evening as you stream or play games or what ever.

You second graph shows the same 24-hour usage with some times of the day higher than others, but you should be able to recognise when you are using the internet and when you are not.

You don't say what you have connected to the router, and even though some things will back up, or download updates, they don't do that all the time = hence my suggestion earlier, find out what is causing the traffic. 

How many users use your internet, what device do they have connected, are they used all the time or left switched on when not in use?

rubymoon
Hooked

It's a haphazardly grown home network for 2 people - most stuff set to sleep when not in use, so I wouldn't expect 24/7 use.

Culprits could be Fire TV or YouView, possibly the spouses mobile... I'll do some elimination testing as suggested.

Cheers.