cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC ever?

sully666
Grafter

FTTC ever?

As it stands at the moment, my ADSL is on a line that goes straight to the exchange, so there is no chance as it stands of getting FTTC.
I know there was some talk of them putting cabinets outside the exchange for such instances, but I have not seen any further information on it.
Is this something that is ever going to happen, or am I stuck with my current setup indefinitely?

I have never got the speeds I was getting with my old provider, which is something I find exasperating.
6 REPLIES 6
bugs4me
Grafter

Re: FTTC ever?

There could be numerous reasons for the speed drop - are you able to post any stats from your router DSL connection page
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The publicly available information about FTTC availability will be on http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/ which also has links to all the county council or regional projects doing the BDUK funded bits.
The difference in speeds between your previous LLU provider and Plusnet could just be the difference between their equipment in the exchange and BT's.
bugs4me
Grafter

Sadly I take that with a huge pinch of salt. We were originally going fibre in April 2014, then it was June, then August, the September and finally December. I've had a fibre cabinet close to me which was installed some 3 months ago but that's all it is - a cabinet.
If you send a query, well in my case anyway, to the quango that is responsible for the roll-out in my area all you get back is a template letter which doesn't answer your question. More annoyingly is that the quango is on facebook posting just about anything not connected with what they are doing.
There must be a black art operating in the fibre world!!!!
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

You can also look on http://roadworks.org/ to see what BT are doing, probably unblocking ducts before they can connect up a FTTC cabinet.
sully666
Grafter

Quote from: ejs
The difference in speeds between your previous LLU provider and Plusnet could just be the difference between their equipment in the exchange and BT's.

Then perhaps BT should be upgrading their equipment.
sully666
Grafter

Well there is a new cabinet going in about 250 yards from my home and that is 100 yards as the crow flies from the back of my exchange.
I am resigned to never getting fibre at the moment  Cry