cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC drop in speed

garywood84
Rising Star

FTTC drop in speed

I've been on FTTC for a while now, and after it stabilised following installation, I was getting speeds of 65-68Mb downstream.  Recently, I've noticed my connection seems slower, and having checked the IP profile with the BTw speedtester, it's dropped to 52Mb, giving a throughput of about 48Mb.  I've tried rebooting my modem and router a couple of times, and at different times of day over the last couple of days, but it hasn't made any difference.  What can I do to restore normal service?!
20 REPLIES 20
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: FTTC drop in speed

Hi garywood84,
I've just taken a look at your line and can see that for some reason your sync rate has dropped, most likely due to an influx of errors on your line. Any ideas what might have caused this? Internal/External works in the area at all?
Good news is that DLM is working it's way back up and your sync rate is matching the top end of the banding. I'd give it a week or so (FTTC DLM can act slowly compared to ADSL) but I'm confident your speeds will return. The most important thing though, is to ensure you keep your Modem on. DLM makes deciosn about your sync rate and profiles based largely on your current sync uptime.
Your line is error free, so with a stable connection, I'd be confident that your speeds will be back to normal soon.
garywood84
Rising Star

Thanks, Chris - I'll keep an eye on it and see how it goes over the next week.  Interestingly, I did see a BT engineer fiddling in the green cabinet a few days ago.  Seeing that always makes me nervous!!
Terranova667
Pro

Expect soon to be maybe months down the line if at all,  It's been over two months for me and DLM has done nothing to get my speeds back up to where they were after a line fault was sorted out despite tests showing that it's clean enough for DLM to do so, so a week or so i have my doubts.
@chris "DLM makes decisions about your sync rate and profiles based largely on your current sync uptime"  Since when i have been told numerous times that it's based on errors not uptime when i have queried the lack of increase so which is it ? If it were based largely on up time then i would have had some increase by now so that's clearly not the case. 
AndyH
Grafter

Terranova667
Pro

@ Andy i have read that  not sure what point your trying to make, what Chris is saying is not what i have been told, He has said it's largely based on modem uptime when i have been told it's based largely on the error rate and considering DLM has done nothing for me so far i would say the uptime being the main consideration to be a load of Rubbish.   
AndyH
Grafter

But a high error rate will cause disconnections (i.e. modem uptime).
Maybe ask Chris for your caution counter (if it's available)?
Terranova667
Pro

@ Andy That's not how Chris worded it or what he said, but if that is what he was referring to then he should say that other wise it just causes confusing and gets false hope to those expecting their speeds to increase largely  based on something that isn't correct ie in chris's words here "the Sync uptime"  which isn't the case
AndyH
Grafter

What do you think is the main cause of a loss of sync/uptime (excluding someone turning off/unplugging the modem)?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Sorry if you misunderstood.
DLM makes decisions based on both Error Count/Rate and Uptime, the same as it does on ADSL in that sense.
@AndyH - We don't have any access to Caution Counter stats unfortunately.
garywood84
Rising Star

Still stuck at 52Mb IP profile.  Is it possible for you to reset the DLM on my line, Chris, and so force it to go back up?
xreyuk
Grafter

Gary,
Unfortunately a DLM reset can only be done on FTTC by an OR engineer visiting a fault. No other ISPs have access to be able to reset DLM (currently).
It's possible that as more people have taken up FTTC on your cabinet, crosstalk has increased, causing your sync speeds to drop.
If you take a look here, have your estimates changed since you had FTTC installed? If you don't know what they were before hand, you need to look at the FTTC 'A' Clean range, and Plusnet would have quoted you the lowest number in that range when taking out your product. If that's gone lower, it's likely crosstalk has increased on your cabinet.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Unfortunately a DLM reset can only be done on FTTC by an OR engineer

I recently requested a DLM reset, no fault. It worked a treat, increased my failing fibre speeds by 50%.  Cheesy
Terranova667
Pro

wait what how did you get one without a fault, I asked and was told an out right no, some double standards going on here if true, can someone on the DCT comment on this 
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

A change would have been made on the network and a reset would have been carried out.
Just to make this absolutely clear - We have absolutely no control over whether an engineer carried out a DLM Reset when he/she should/shouldn't carry out a reset. An engineer should only complete a DLM Reset should only be carried out when a network change is made.
If there are instances where an engineer has gone outside of this, this is something that BT Openreach will deal with, with their engineers directly. We do not have control or have a process which allows us to request a DLM Reset at this time if no network changes have been made.