Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC disconnects, crackly line and lower speed

markbaguley
Dabbler

FTTC disconnects, crackly line and lower speed

Hi,
I had my FTTC service activated on the 16th with a sync speed of 67/18. I mentioned to the engineer at the time that my line was noisy but he said the self test was fine and I agreed that if the speed was good then maybe it was an issue with my cordless phone or just not affecting the broadband.  Since then I have noticed multiple disconnects on the router and my speed has decreased to 20/10.  Also if I call up 17070 I can see the DSL light on the openreach modem go out - essentially when I am on the phone my broadband will disconnect.
I have a ticket open at #85840351 but I thought I might get more useful help than an automated response on here.
Thanks,
Mark
29 REPLIES 29
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: FTTC disconnects, crackly line and lower speed

Did the engineer fit the new faceplate? If not, are you still using a filter for you phone?  If you are try a new one.
If yes the engineer fitted the new faceplate, do you have another phone[corded ideally] to test with plugged into  the master socket?
If after all that the noise is still there, then you got a useless engineer, report a phone line fault to who ever provides your phone line.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

any noise on the line will casue problems be it ADSL or Fibre, the engineer really should have done a full set of tests for noise etc seems you got a lazy one,  if the noise is via the test socket behind the face plate on the master socket then you would need to get your phone provider to fix the line to get your full service back, as i say the enginner really should have tested more.  
markbaguley
Dabbler

Thanks for the replys.  The faceplate and modem were already installed (from the previous owners) so the engineer literally just did his thing at the cabinet, checked the service was working and went on his way.  Unfortunately I don't have another phone to check the line but I can probably pick a corded one up cheaply just to test, hopefully tomorrow.
Also my phone provider is Plusnet so it's all in their hands.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Mark,
That is really good news... no Ping-Pong between voice and broadband providers for you.
Have you go a friend you could borrow a phone from?
What happens when you get an inbound call - does it cause the BB to drop?  If it does, that could be a duff filter or a line fault, which ties in with your noise.

Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

markbaguley
Dabbler

Strange - when I received a call this evening the broadband did not drop out but when I tested again making an outgoing call it dropped straight away.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've just run a couple of checks on your line and our testing hasn't been able to identify an issue remotely.
For us to progress the issue, would you be able to reply back to Ticket: 85840351?
markbaguley
Dabbler

Thanks for the reply Chris.  I've replied to the ticket as I've now tested the line with a corded phone on the test socket and the noise is still present.  I made a recording of it which you can download here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_KPrw-cnRY4U0tvaE52aGVENmM/edit?usp=sharing
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Would you be able to update your ticket with your availability for an engineer too?
markbaguley
Dabbler

Yep - done.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've updated your ticket with the appointment details that I've arranged for you.
markbaguley
Dabbler

Thanks Chris - lets hope it gets resolved easily  Smiley
markbaguley
Dabbler

Does anyone have any tips on what I should be watching the engineer do to test for noise? I just want to make sure he does a thorough job and rules everything out before giving up.
Thanks
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Mark,
There could be a multitude of things they might do.  They'll attach stuff to your line - Hawk box / test head / own hand set / tone generator - to aid diagnostics.
Ask what fault they've found, if they say none, ask if a fault might be detectable if the line is tested from the cabinet.
I have seen situations where no fault can be found with the pair quality test equipment when tested from the nte5 box.  "If there is a fault this baby will find it, if it says there is no fault, there is no fault."  On that and a subsequent occasion the Eclipse Exit Test (automated test from the exchange initiated by engineer's mobile phone and reports back to the mobile) reported a loop fault, which was dismissed as a test head issue.
Third engineer said that was not right, tested the line from the cabinet and found the fault.
Make sure you get a clean eclipse test before the engineer leaves.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

markbaguley
Dabbler

Thanks for the details Townman.  The engineer just left after a good two hours of fault finding and we have success, the line is almost silent now.  The fault was traced to a corroded pair in the junction box outside the house, a fairly straightforward fix but it took a long time to find it.  I've still got the same line speed at the moment but I'm under the impression that it will take a good day or two for DLM to adjust my line speed back to up where it was before.