Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC date has disppeared - should I be worried

CraigBruce
Dabbler

FTTC date has disppeared - should I be worried

Hi,
  I've been (im)patiently waiting for FTTC since I saw a September date published for my exchange (LWTWI), I was then checking my line against the Plusnet and BT Infinity availability checker and looking forward to 31/12/11 when I should be able to get fibre at last.  The recent change to the Plusnet fibre signup page means I can no longer check a date there (it recognises me as a customer and suggests I change products) and as of checking today the BT checker no longer gives a date for FTTC.
  Should I get worried that the date has changed/slipped ?
  I've been putting off upgrading my modem/router...and recently I've put off investigating a fault which causes my broadband connection to drop whenever I take an incoming phone call. If things are delayed then I should replace/fix this issue.
  Anyone seen anything similar on the availability checker ?
Craig
26 REPLIES 26
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: FTTC date has disppeared - should I be worried

hi Craig , yes for some reason the date for my FTTC kept changeing also  Sad  so i just rang up PN they checked it    Wink  & yes its available Now eventho it says 30/12/11 on BT .
so best is just give PN a call its free  Smiley  0800
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
godsell4
Rising Star

Put the 1st part of whole postcode into this link and see what it says
http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
WWWombat
Grafter

The sad news is that dates like "31/12", "31/3", "30/6" and "30/9" are all placeholders, that show you BT's general plan, but not really the actual date that FTTC is expected to go active.
Then, around 2 weeks before each of these placeholder dates expire (ie around now for the 31/12 dates), BT's system usually goes through them all and changes them to the next placeholder (ie changes all 31/12 to 31/3 etc). That process causes lots of gnashing of teeth, but it doesn't mean that you'll have to wait that long either.
It has also been known, when lots of these updates go through, for some of them to fall off the checker, only to re-appear a few days later. It has also been known for dates to disappear when the cabinet is about to go live (but only on occasion). I suspect it means they have problems getting database updates to stick properly.
In mid December last year, the checker changed on a daily basis for my line for 8 consecutive days, going through dates for December, March, June and September (but not in that order) *and* disappearing, before settline on March. In Mid-March, it changed to June, but around the 22nd March it change to 24th March - exactly when the order could be taken. It turned out that my cabinet needed more roadworks for power installation.
The best way to interpret a date like "31st Dec" is to read it as BT saying they "plan to give you a proper date sometime between now and 31st Dec", but then remember that plans change.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
houlton23
Grafter

Quote from: CraigBruce
I've been (im)patiently waiting for FTTC since I saw a September date published for my exchange (LWTWI), I was then checking my line against the Plusnet and BT Infinity availability checker and looking forward to 31/12/11 when I should be able to get fibre at last.  The recent change to the Plusnet fibre signup page means I can no longer check a date there (it recognises me as a customer and suggests I change products) and as of checking today the BT checker no longer gives a date for FTTC.

In exactly the same position, however our exchange (EMBREAD) has moved from 'Coming Soon' to 'Accepting Orders' on the PDF and Map on the superfast-openreach website. The BT checker which this morning (~8am) showed a date of 31st December, didn't even mention FTTC by 10:30am. Postcode checker still shows FTTC (no date) and speed estimate though.
I'm pretty confident that BT haven't pulled the plug on my cabinet as they've already installed the box - however I'm guessing it has had some delays being connected to the power as there's been no 'humming' from inside heard on my many walks past.
Alex Smiley
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

My exchange has a date on the spreadsheet for 21CN and we never had that before Shocked Undecided
Ok...it's August 2012 but it's better than nothing.
Fibre date is December 2011 so that's discounted.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Strat,first time I've seen that spreadsheet..................but the bad news is that my exchange (SWXUU) is not even on it. Does that mean that 21CN is never going to happen? Cry
paulpicks21
Grafter

My exchange also changed from 31st Dec to nothing yesterday. (CMSOUC)

All the new cabinets have been fitted around town a while back so I am not too worried.

I will keep checking the BT website, hopefully it will be enabled soon.
CraigBruce
Dabbler

Thanks for all the replies so far...further checking confirms (PDF on the superfast site) that the exchange is FTTC enabled, and even states that orders are being accepted. Calling customer services I was advised that things 'are in progress' and to keep checking - they suggested samknows which states 1/12/11. I'm guessing it's just the local cabinet and BT schedules being somewhat uncertain.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Quote from: davidj60
Strat,first time I've seen that spreadsheet.................

I've been checking it for quite a while as fibre was flagged as Dec 11 but no ADSL2+. On the latest update things have changed for me out of the blue so don't give up hope Smiley
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
CraigBruce
Dabbler

Unfortunately it looks like it is as I suspected....BT Infinity checker updated this morning with a slip to 31st March Sad
lexusuk
Grafter

Hi Craigbruce,
Our checker was also showing no date last week but has also since updated to reflect a planned date of 31/03/11.  Estimated 29.4Mbps downstream.  Unfortunately it looks like you may have to wait slightly longer than originally planned.
paulpicks21
Grafter

Ours changed to 31st March also around a week ago.
Cabinets were installed all over the town at least 2 months ago.
I just checked samknows.com (plusnet told me to keep checking there when I phoned up about it) and it has changed from 1st Dec to the 31st of Dec so who knows when ours will be enabled now lol.

Just glad to have ADSL2+ for the last month or so, get between 14 and 16 meg which is over double before.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

i have just checked , samknows, and it tells me i can get FTTC now  Wink but i cant  Embarrassed acording to BT and PN till march sometime
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi rongtw,
Bear in mind that when an exchange is upgraded to FTTC it's not rolled out to the whole area, as it's done cabinet by cabinet. It's only houses connected to the upgraded cabinets that will have access.
Samknows shows that the exchange is now fibre capable, however it looks like your local green box is yet to be enabled I'm afraid.