cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC confusion

anniesboy
Rising Star

FTTC confusion

My exchange is in the process of being upgraded.
Hence I have been checking with the BT availability checker.
On Thursday 5th it shows that fibre is available for me,I ring PN, the line is checked and order placed.
In speaking  to a friend on Friday 6th Im asked what speed was likely,so I return to the checker to find no mention of fibre.
A further call to PN they confirm not available, i have no idea why this should happen.
Thus I wait a while longer (I hope)
I trust this does not mean the checker is flakey .
4 REPLIES 4
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: FTTC confusion

Welcome to BT's complete lack of management when it comes to FTTC availability. This is pretty typical... it appears to be available, it disappears, it becomes available again but then the dates keep changing, then it disappears again... then it appears again... and so on.
If the date shows the last date of a quarter, then it is just a holding date when BT have no idea if/when it will be available. It may show the last data of a month... again they have no idea... it may even have a day within the month but it can';t be trusted as, in my case it kept moving forward and backward for months, it disappeared for a few months then said 6 months away then said it's available now a week later. A complete farce.
The only time you will know it is available is when there is NO date but still says FTTC is enabled on your line. Until that happens you cannot trust ANY dates that BT show.
anniesboy
Rising Star

Yes I realize that,but i used this availability checker,
http://is.gd/faFfs3
which I had thought gave  accurate information
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

nope, like all things on that page it is always a guestimate, and from experience pretty much always wrong compared to real life connections.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Just as much a guesstimate as....
https://www.btwholesale.com/shared/document/Library/Network_Information/21CN_Broadband_Availibility/...
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine