cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC cabinets

Roblister
Grafter

FTTC cabinets

BT Openreach are installing fibre from the exchange to cabinets in the area.  I am sure there used to be one of the green cabinets 50 yards down the road from me.  However it must have disappeared a number of years ago with what looks like a square manhole.  I didn't take any notice when it was replaced.  So now I am not sure where the fibre will go to.  Do they use these manholes or is the "green box"  likely to be further away.  Is there a way to find out where they are are any signs what to look for.
5 REPLIES 5
knowdice
Rising Star

Re: FTTC cabinets

Would expect a new Green Box, probably next to a street light as it needs some electricity...
Roblister
Grafter

It must be on the estate somewhere then.  Time for a hunt around I think.  Hoping it's not too far away.
Routefinder
Grafter

Hi
The first one in my locale I have spotted is slightly odd placement in the that old style green box is the other side of the road to it and the new FTTC box is within 3 feet of a pavement chamber...............I surmise that that chamber is linked to the old green box the other side of the road and that there is no mains power 'there'.  So logistics come into play in this instance???
Just tapping my fingers for an FTTC box to popup next to 'my cabinet' sometime soon Cheesy  This is in Surrey where there is a "superfast Broadband initiative" being rolled out separately from BT's (lack of) plans for the area.
Roblister
Grafter

Well after a good ride around my area in a one mile radius I cannot find any old green boxes at all.  As I am sure there was some locally I think they got replaced by these pavement chambers.  Hopefully they can stick one of the new boxes beside one of these power permitting.  Otherwise it's probably back to the long wire for us.
knowdice
Rising Star

Quote from: Routefinder
The first one in my locale I have spotted is slightly odd placement in the that old style green box is the other side of the road to it and the new FTTC box is within 3 feet of a pavement chamber...............I surmise that that chamber is linked to the old green box the other side of the road and that there is no mains power 'there'.  So logistics come into play in this instance???

Yes, the same for me. FTTC box is over the road to the distribution box. I asked the Open Reach engineer about this and he said it was for power.