cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC bandwidth, options?

Rickenbacker

FTTC bandwidth, options?

I've got an FTTC connection where I usually get ~10 mbit/s down and 0.95 mbit/s up. On Monday (at ~11 AM) The internet connections suddenly dropped, and when the connection came back about 15 minutes later, the upstream speed was ~0.6 mbit/s.
Hopefully this is a temporary setback, but it caused me to wonder what tuning/configuration options exist with FTTC?
I've read through some of the posts in the forum and I can see people asking for interleave to be turned on/off and other things, but I haven't seen a "list" or anything like that detailing what options exist? Is it for example possible to sacrifice some downstream speed to get higher upstream speed?
4 REPLIES
Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: FTTC bandwidth, options?

Hi Rickenbacker (you and Strat may get on famously Smiley )

I'm afraid as far as FTTC goes we have pretty much no tweaking options - it's all done automatically by DLM, that'll be why your upstream has slowed as well. It might be worth powering the modem off for a few minutes then back on again to let it resync, we wouldn't normally recommend that but I suspect it might help in this case. Aside from that though there's nothing we can do to improve things or make any changes to the profiles though.
Fixes: 123

I don't think so Matt, we're in competition Wink

Customer and Forum Moderator.

To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Rickenbacker

Quote from: Matt
Hi Rickenbacker (you and Strat may get on famously Smiley )

I think I need some sort of explanation to understand that?  Smiley
Quote from: Matt
I'm afraid as far as FTTC goes we have pretty much no tweaking options - it's all done automatically by DLM, that'll be why your upstream has slowed as well. It might be worth powering the modem off for a few minutes then back on again to let it resync, we wouldn't normally recommend that but I suspect it might help in this case. Aside from that though there's nothing we can do to improve things or make any changes to the profiles though.

I thought I had seen posts where other users had asked for some aspects of their profile to be changed? I realise most of these will have been ADSL customers, but I was fairly certain that some of them were FTTC customers like me?
Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

You're both named after famous guitars? At least that was the link in my head.
And, yes - lots of them. It's only the ADSL/ADSL2+ ones we can alter though I'm afraid, as I said we don't have any options to tweak FTTC connections - not even an SNR reset to allow it to retrain.