cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC and homeplugs installation

dogbreath

FTTC and homeplugs installation

Sorry if this has been asked before. I have searched but cannot find an answer.
I currently have adsl broadband. I use a Devolo 500AV+ system to connect my 2 PCs (which are on the third floor of my house) to the combined router/modem on the ground floor. However much it might be desirable to hard-wire between the 3rd floor and the ground floor this is not a realistic option hence the Devolo solution which works very well.
I am due to get FTTC installed on Wednesday and as you know this has a separate modem and router. Do I put the router on the 3rd floor next to the PCs and connect the output from that to the devolo homeplug and then on the ground floor connect the output from the Devolo to the modem (ie put the devolos between the router and the modem)? Or do I leave things as they are and plug the output from the Devolos into the router on the ground floor and the output from the router into the modem? In other words, treat the separate but connected router and modem as effectively a direct replacement for my currently combined router/modem? Hope that makes sense and many thanks for your guidance.
4 REPLIES 4
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: FTTC and homeplugs installation

Hi Dogbreath,
Welcome to the forums.
This is a good question and not one I have not seen asked before and the answer is not obvious!
My first pass at an answer was "it does not really matter as a dLAN pair is effectively just a length of Ethernet cable", then I thought of a number of "but it depends if...".  Therefore I would recommend that the SIMPLISTIC answer is to leave as is and treat the modem / router as an indivisible pair.
Hth

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dogbreath

Townman,
Many thanks for the quick answer. Your analysis and conclusion makes sense. Perhaps, if it doesn't matter (because the Dlan is effectively just an ethernet cable) is, as you say to leave as is and then when i have nothing better to do, try it the other way! Assuming leaving as is gets me onto the t'interweb.
And many thanks for the welcome.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Dogbreath,
Leaving it as is, in effect leaves you connected just the same - just faster.
I made the point that it was the simplistic answer.  The alternative approach remains simplistic so long as...
1. The Devolo devices do not have wifi
2. You do not decide to use any spare Ethernet ports on the dLAN for other devices (you loose one LAN port on the router when FTTC connected)
3. You do not later decided to add a 3rd dLAN adaptor
If any of the above were to be attempted with the Devolos between the modem and the router, I am not convinced that anything else so connected there would function correctly.
HTH.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dogbreath

Townman,
Again, many thanks.
I think I will stick with as is. One of the reasons for going FTTC is to have access to television/film type stuff so a further homeplug is likely next to the television. And the adapters I currently have do have wireless. So it seems the best option is just to stick with as is.
I really am very grateful for your help.
Best wishes,