Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC and dropped connections

SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

FTTC and dropped connections

My router  has recently decided that each time the phone rings it will drop the ADSL line. Its plugged directly into the (admittedly rather grotty) Master Socket (which doesn't have an ADSL faceplace). The wiring from there back out to the junction box is about 12 feet and doesn't look too brilliant either (looks more like extension cable). The main phone line looks like its armoured and vanishes under the garden.
So the question is - when FTTC comes along (release date was 1/12/2011) and I go for it how much of that wiring gets replaced? and will it fix the dropped connection problem.
14 REPLIES 14
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Re: FTTC and dropped connections

Does your socket have a test socket?
SteveA
Pro

No - the "Master" socket looks more like an extension socket even though there isn't any other socket.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

With a fibre install you'll get a new master socket, so might well get the wiring updated at the same time. It's worth asking for an extension kit when you order as that way the engineer will also install a second socket in your premises too.
Also it's likely to fix the dropping connection as the connection will be running down fibre to your local green box as opposed to copper, and that coupled with
the replaced master socket and different exchange kit will most likely ensure the cause of the dropping connections is removed from your line.
SteveA
Pro

So the question is ... when will FTTC actually become available in Cheltenham....
SteveA
Pro

OK its apparently "Available in some areas"
Well that's a lot of help isn't it.
Do PN know which parts of Cheltenham have FTTC?
WWWombat
Grafter

It depends on which cabinets have been converted so far, and which ones are still being converted.
In the end, the only thing that matters is when *your* cabinet is due to be done (always assuming you are within range of VDSL on that cabinet). The best place to tell you this is the BT wholesale checker at http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
SteveA
Pro

Which makes no mention of FTTC and even says that they can't fulfil ADSL2+ orders until the end of this year.
So now I'm even more confused.
WWWombat
Grafter

That probably means you aren't due to get FTTC yet. BT's database has been flaky this week, but I thought they'd fixed it...
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
SteveA
Pro

The odd thing is that there is a shiny new cabinet about 4 minutes walk from my house and the engineers have been buzzing round it like flies.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

If it is bigger than the old one, has vents in it and is close to an existing smaller green cabinet then its a new FTTC cabinet.
Just because they are working on it now does not give an indication it will be ready any time soon. There is no list that you or plusnet can look at to say when individual cabinets will be ready as many things need to be done and delays / problems can be encountered. The only way is to check the BT line checker page.
SteveA
Pro

Quote from: Peter
If it is bigger than the old one, has vents in it and is close to an existing smaller green cabinet then its a new FTTC cabinet.

It meets all those criteria
seanjudge
Dabbler

Hey Steve A,
I have had a look to see if we have any more info on when your line will be FTTC ready but at the moment we don't i'm afraid.
These things are regularly updated and will be worth checking again in the new year.
Thanks,
SJ
SteveA
Pro

Well the cabinet now has a nice shiny "Fibre Broadband now available" sort of notice on in and BT Openreach were there this morning with a large van full of cable.
But the checker still says I can't get it.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I imagine once the cab you're connected to is live it will appear as available Smiley