Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC and BT Infinity?

ComplexP
Grafter

FTTC and BT Infinity?

Hi all
I am a little confused about how this BT Infinity thing is going to effect me and so I was hoping someone might be able to shed light on it...
I am on a Plusnet Pro package (ADSL2) up to 20MBits and generally get about 4MBit throughput (I'm quite far from the exchange) but find the prioritised traffic very convenient.
BT say they are offering their infinity service to me from March 30th 2011, which I have no interest in because I hate dealing directly with BT, but this must therefore mean that I will be getting FTTC, yes? It would therefore follow that my sync speed to the exchange should jump drastically once this is done even though I am not with BT since the exchange would detect a much improved line quality, meaning I would be getting 10-15MB potentially, right?
The only situation I can see where this doesn't work is if BT keep everyone on the old technology and only transfer you through their shiny FTTC if you sign up with them. If this is the case I would be sorely disappointed since I would rather eat my own head than sign up with BT broadband in any form. If so, I would hope that other companies are allowed to offer competing packages to Infinity.
Cheers
8 REPLIES 8
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: FTTC and BT Infinity?

Infinity is just the BT Retail name for FTTC which is supplied BT Wholesale.
Once FTTC becomes available from BT Wholesale on your exchange and cabinet you can get the faster speeds from any ISP who is offering FTTC (and that includes Plusnet). Whichever ISP you chose will require an installation and some new equipment at your end.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
Any BT Wholesale ISP will have the option of offering FTTC services, though I don't think it will be widely available for a while.
We will have some of these products, though I can't say when as we're in the middle of a trial at the moment.
Your speed wouldn't rise automatically, we'd need to place an order for you and an engineer will need to come and install the equipment in your property. If you want to join the trial once the service is available in your area let us know and we'll sort this out.
Mand
Grafter

You're too fast for me jelv. Wink
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and from the FTTC threads, if you manage to sign up before PN go mainstream with it, you will pay the current charges,  no mention yet when the trial ends and the charges increase, just a very broad hint from PN
puddy
Grafter

With my BT exchange being across the road from me will I ever get offered FTTC?
Will my new router Draytek 2710n be useless if a BT engineer needs to fits the equipment at my house?
Puddy
knowdice
Rising Star

BT will supply and install a VDSL+ "modem" the presentation to you will be Ethernet so you will need a cable router or something similar that can do PPPoE.
Pop your phone number in BT Phone checker and see what it says about availability...
puddy
Grafter

Thanks for the web address but no FTCC in my area  but if i do get it my router has a PPPoE setting

Puddy
ps BT say my broadband connection speed will be 7616 but is that the sync speed with interleaving switched on or download speed?  I sync at 8128
knowdice
Rising Star

Quote from: puddy
...but if i do get it my router has a PPPoE setting

But your WAN interface is ADSL not Ethernet  Embarrassed
My FTTC cabinet is about 500 metres away and on the BT install synced at 37Mbs down and 10Mbs up  Cheesy