Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC and 21CN and Market 1

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

FTTC and 21CN and Market 1

I went to a BT presentation this week where I learned that if you are on a Market 1 exchange you will not get FTTC under BT's current plans (i.e. without government subsidy).  My exchange is  Market 1 and still on 20CN.  I should have asked (but didn't) if this is coincidence or causal.  Can you ever have FTTC on a 20CN exchange or does FTTC go hand-in-hand with 21CN? 
4 REPLIES 4
x47c
Grafter

Re: FTTC and 21CN and Market 1

You comments are very interesting indeed in respect of the future for market 1 exchanges - although I'm not on one unlike you.
There were some comments on here a few months ago about an exchange with a FTTC implementation date but no WBC21CN date listed -so that seems to show it is possible.
That said, there is a difference between 21CN being implemented and ADSL2 being implemented - you can still have ADSL1 on a 21CN exchange.
So possibly a 21CN "exchange only" upgrade is necessary.........
From a business perspective I'm surprised BT are still going for ADSL2 upgrades and not jumping direct to FTTC.
By this I mean that there will be those who after getting 15Mb on ADSL2 will say - sorry FTTC is not justifiable from an expense point of view given that they are now getting 15Mb.
If however ADSL2 was not available and the options were only ADSL1 on 3Mb vs FTTC on 25+Mb then the consumer would be more easily "persuaded" to fork out for FTTC.
(Particularly when the ISP is not charging more for ADSL2 over ADSL1)
Hence by jumping direct they would get a larger share (and hence larger revenues) of the available customers at any one cabinet to swap to FTTC.

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi ReedRichards,
Although I don't know about any FTTC and Market 1 policies ro p[lans, I can tell you that there have been a number of exchanges where FTTC has been made available without 21CN being enabled.
Jojo Smiley
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Thanks, Joanne, that's useful to know.
WWWombat
Grafter

Our exchange got FTTC before it got 21CN, by a few months.
On some other bit of BT documentation, I could see that our exchange was labelled (for FTTC purposes) as being a child to Guildford. At the time, Guildford wasn't even enabled for FTTC, but it is one of the core nodes for 21CN.
Edit: Should have noted that both here & Guildford are market 3.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.