Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC- Very Slow Throughput Last Night - Guildford Cab 8

AndrewD
Grafter

FTTC- Very Slow Throughput Last Night - Guildford Cab 8

Hi,
Last night when trying to download a series in HD on the sky box, the speed was very slow. Normally (apart from the times I have suffered from Line faults) I can start the download and commence watching without further need to stop or waiting to rebuffer.
Last night (at 8.30-9.30pm) I had to wait for the download to rebuffer and I caught it up 3 times in the first 15 minutes and I had to abandon watching to allow the movie to download by itself at snails pace.
So I did some speed tests and the speed was reporting about 5-6mbits down on various servers and about 18 or 19mbits up.  That is even slower than I used to get on adsl max way back when.  The synch connection speed was fine and remains maxed out at 80/20. The connection didn't drop.  The connection has been very solid since the last fault was fixed and port swapped at the cabinet.
Speed tests this morning appear back to normal or certainly much much faster than last night.
Based on this Is this most likely to be congestion?  On the wholesale network at the cabinet, at the exchange or on Plusnet side?
Can something be done to investigate and resolve as at that sort of performance it doesn;t support the variety of online service for which I am subscribed.
Thanks,
AndrewD
7 REPLIES 7
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: FTTC- Very Slow Throughput Last Night - Guildford Cab 8

Hi AndrewD,
Sorry to hear of the slow down in speed you suffered last night.
If this something that has happened regularly previously? It may very well be down to congestion but if it keeps on happening it may be worth raising a fault here: http://faults.plus.net
This way our Faults team can investigate this further and hopefully resolve this if it's a re-occurring issue.
AndrewD
Grafter

Hi,
Not yet regular yet but my experience of these sorts of things is that once they start they tend to come back without some sort of intervention.
Clearly something was running hot last night.
Is there any sort of capacity checks you could perform or system reports on your network that could be reviewed to check for anything untoward?
The difficulty with raising a fault is that it is only at a certain time of day and then returns to normal. I don't imagine I will see an openreach van outside my house to experience the problem first hand at 9pm?
Thanks
Andrew
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've pulled the data from our suppliers and there isn't any congestion/capacity issues reflecting at your exchange for FTTC.
I would still suggest raising a fault and informing our Faults team of the specific issues you're seeing and when so that they can investigate it at the right times. Intermittent issues can be more tricky to resolve but it's always best to raise it to the Faults team to investigate it further for you.
AndrewD
Grafter

Right. Well it is now happening most nights. And always at peak evening times. Next morning returns to normal.
I have now raised a fault. There appears to be an increasing number of evening slow throughput issues raised on the forum, many of which appear to  carry on for some time without resolution. This is the first fault I will have ever had with Plusnet which has not corresponded with a line condition, so it will be a real test for fault identification and resolution.
Even more concerning is that Plusnet or wholesale supplier systems can't "see" or identify any issue when I ask. I am keeping an open mind and really hope this can be identified and resolved but do feel nervous with the other postings around. the forum reporting similar issues.
AndrewD
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Andrew,
Intermittent network issues are intrinsically difficult to identify and resolve.
One needs to be able to invoke inspection when the problem is being seen
Inspection might well discern the symptoms, but not identify the cause
Even if the cause can be identified (for example cross talk) the location might not be capable of being determined

Is there any noise on your phone line when you notice the problem? Dial 17070 option 2.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

AndrewD
Grafter

The is a hint of a distant crackle on the quiet line test. I only checked this following your request now, when the speed is ok.  Could cross talk be so severe to reduce a connection synched at 80mbits to 5 or 6mbits or below throughput and at the same time not cause any connection stability issues?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

I do not know for sure how the 'stability' controls work.  If they depend solely on being able to maintain synchronisation, then yes the above could be true.
Bit synchronisation is maintained whilst the errors are so high that the data content is unreadable, thus requiring retransmission resulting in a depressed DATA transfer rate.
To compare - synch rate is like how many changes of sound can your mouth make a minute, where as data rate is how many words can you say a minute which a hearer can intelligently understand, if he says tell me again, you've lost!
It could though just be exchange congestion.
A quite line test again when you have the problem would be a good confirmation that audible noise is not a contributor.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.