cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC / VDSL2 trial

mal0z
Grafter

Re: FTTC / VDSL2 trial

None of the issues of putting equipment into the streets is new.
We did it with the cable network companies in the 1990's, and then with with the cellular phone companies. Their cabinets are all over the streets. You've probably seen the smaller  masts for cellular - about 10 meters high ad not much thicker than a lamppost. And getting power is not usually difficult either as there are feeds in the street for lampposts / traffic lights etc.
itsme
Grafter

As I posted in this thread previously the cable reps could not supply me with the information how the cabinets are powered during a power cut. I assume that cable are under the some rules/law that they have to supply a POTS services during power cuts?
Cellular networks probably have no requirement to maintain a service during a power cut.
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Quote from: mal0z
And getting power is not usually difficult either as there are feeds in the street for lampposts / traffic lights etc.

That's absolutely correct for Urban areas  Wink  but as you get more rural, things like street lights disappear as do traffic lights Embarrassed  
One of the big challenges for 'Digital UK' is to better meet the needs of rural communities and the government proposals to maximise use of spare land and building resource in brown field sites.  Currently many planning applications founder because of lack of infrastructure - be that Telecomms or Transport.  It can be done, and there are other options to the way in which FTTC and FTTH can be delivered - but there is a cost barrier to overcome?
The current proposal implementation by BT is a bit short sighted in its limited delivery of up to 20mbps using VSDL as it has limited options for migration to the newer generation of deliverables.  
I'll see if I can dig out some costing differences.
Maurice

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mal0z
Grafter

I live in a village that has street lights, and remember those old red boxes even in rural locations that housed - erm telephones - they had a light in them.
Yes i'm not saying it's without problems - as I've said cellular radio base stations as I described are placed in some fairly rural locations.
For those in Scotland, who travel the A9/M9 at Dunblane - and see the disquised antennas on the roundabout that look like palm trees - in Scotland ! - they are remote.
And government is looking to simplify planning law isn't it ? - one reason being to speed construction of nuclear power stations - not sure on progress with that at the moment.
Re commercial cellular is generally not always protected against power failure - but other similar systems are equipped with UPS or DC feed  as described in the excellent article  quoted by itsme explains.
It's rather ironic, people have been trying to preserve red telephone boxes - even without a phone in them, and now people are fighting these 2m high cabinets being put in their streets.
itsme
Grafter

A town near my have several blind spots with the cellular networks and I noticed that they put a mast up recently to tackle one of them and it's disguised as a telegraph pole.
toulouse
Grafter

I wonder why whatever is in these cabinets cannot be put under ground. No one would even know they were there then - no vandalism, etc,. etc..
Of course I do realise that they would need to be made water proof but that's a job that's long overdue anyway, isn't it ?
itsme
Grafter

Because they need to be accessible so there will be a large hole and then drainage problems as well as ventilation to dissipate the heat.
mal0z
Grafter

And a fair number of cellular base stations are housed in churches - with the antenna in the belfry / tower - and you couldn't never tell they were there.
So if space is needed for some large cabinets - disguise them as garden sheds, garages, etc etc - even put them in some existing buildings - theres' a fair number empty at the moment. 
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

BT currently have very many underground ducts, with access hatches.
How about disguised cabinets:-
Crazy Crazy Crazy

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

toulouse
Grafter

@Crucibleofevil said 'BT currently have very many underground ducts, with access hatches' - which is precisely the point I was trying to make.
It wouldn't hurt to put whatever is supposed to be going into these new cabinets underground, then no one will even see them, let alone complain about how ugly they are, or that they can't get their triple seater side by side kiddies buggy past it when taking their little darlings for a walk - perish the thought !!!
As for making it all waterproof - what about the state of the present underground cabling. Many of us might find our line performance improve dramatically.
Anyway, that's just my 2 cents worth

toulouse
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

At least there will be one positive benefit of putting these great big power hungry cabinets in our streets.
It will give the homeless somewhere warm to sleep on in winter.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."