cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC VDSL: Yesterday 72Mbps Down, today only 9 Mbps. Speed dropped by 63Mbps

tomcemerka
Dabbler

FTTC VDSL: Yesterday 72Mbps Down, today only 9 Mbps. Speed dropped by 63Mbps

Yesterday I got upgraded to FTTC VDSL. Everything looked great. Synchronization speeds were D:76Mbps U:19.9Mbps. Speedtest gave me results of D:73Mbps, U:19Mbps  Cheesy
22 REPLIES 22
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: FTTC VDSL: Yesterday 72Mbps Down, today only 9 Mbps. Speed dropped by 63Mbps

Your line hasn't been active very long, it's still going through it's initial stabilisation period which lasts around a week or so.
It's worth keeping an eye on things but we'd need to allow the line to train itself for the initial week.
tomcemerka
Dabbler

Re: FTTC VDSL: Yesterday 72Mbps Down, today only 9 Mbps. Speed dropped by 63Mbps

Today - completely different story. Download speed dropped by 65Mbps  Cry
tomcemerka
Dabbler

Quote from: Chris
Your line hasn't been active very long, it's still going through it's initial stabilisation period which lasts around a week or so.
It's worth keeping an eye on things but we'd need to allow the line to train itself for the initial week.

Thank you Chris for quick reply. I thought that a week of training was for ADSL service and not VDSL? As VDSL is always on training and keeps adjusting synchronisation speed?
Although, it might be different for initial synchronisation. Will keep an eye and report in a week.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

No problem.
ADSL has a 10 day training period, whereas VDSL has an open profile for the first two days to allow for engineers/customers to move their internal wiring if required.
After that the line finds that band it needs to be on and DLM closely monitors the line. Once the line has remained stable, it'll stick with the band that you're set on. If line conditions change, for example, if if your line begins to error, DLM will take action overnight to make any adjustments to the banding and profile that you're assigned.
picbits
Rising Star

A question that I don't think has been asked - are you testing via a wireless connection or straight to the router via ethernet cable ?
My wireless will give me results from 10Mb - 40Mb/s depending on which way the wind is blowing while a wired connection usually gets me >60Mb/s
tomcemerka
Dabbler

Good question. I should have mentioned that basics were covered already. Tested connectivity using LAN cable connected directly to the Router.
adie:quote
adie:red please don't remove moderator comments.]
picbits
Rising Star

The other issue I had when first connected was a gradual decrease in speeds over a few days down to <10Mb/s - a quick log on to the router, manually disconnecting then reconnecting solved this.
I think I've had to do that three times in the past 17 months and certainly not for any speed issues in the last 10+ months.
tomcemerka
Dabbler

Experience on PlusNet FTTC so far:
Day1 - Activation Day
Before FTTC activation: D:10Mbps, U:1Mbps (ADSL)
After FTTC activation    : D:73Mbps, U:19Mbps
Day2 - Download speed dropped from 73Mbps to 9Mbps. Upload: 19Mbps
Day3 - Still the same. D:9Mbps, U:19Mbps
I hope that Download speed will go up. Surely this isn't right even for the service that has been just activated? Could there be issue with Qos on my profile that PlusNet has?
Router DSL Statistics:
Receive Direction Send Direction
Max. DSLAM throughput kbit/s 80000 20000
Min. DSLAM throughput kbit/s 128 128
Attainable data rate kbit/s        78668 19999
Current throughput kbit/s 78668 19999
Seamless rate adaptation        off off

Latency fast       fast
Impulse Noise Protection        0 0
G.inp off off

Signal-to-noise ratio dB        6 3
Bitswap on on
Line attenuation dB       22 15

Profile  17a
G.Vector        off off

Carrier record B43 B43
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

What setup do you have Are you still using the Openreach Modem? If so, what speeds do you get directly connected to that?
Your line stats look fine to me, please see attached.
tomcemerka
Dabbler

I got Fritz!Box 7490 VDSL Router connected directly into DSL socket. VLAN:101, VPI:1, VCI: 32, Encapsulation: PPPoE, annex B (as for 17a Type Profile - recommendation http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?topic=127136.0)
I could setup BT Modem again, but just don't want to affect my line by disconnections if it is in training phase. Or will it be OK for me to disconnect FB and get BT Modem plugged in?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It'll be fine for a couple of disconnections - it'll be interesting just to see if the line behaves any differently with regards to throughput.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Could this not perhaps be a late Delta Report, dropping the Current Line Speed to ADSL levels?
Check here: https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed (log-in required).
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

we haven't seen the BT profile have we?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

The profile set on our side is set correctly.