Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC Trialist & Home Move

WWWombat
Grafter

FTTC Trialist & Home Move

Hi Guys,
We'll be moving home over the next month (heading back to Yorkshire), and I'm looking into the broadband/phone-line provision. I have some questions related to FTTC and the position of being a triallist. I also need to try to build the appointment around times & dates I'll be moving stuff, or visiting relatives - it's a long way to go for 'just' a BT appointment.
The current line is with BT, and the broadband is FTTC Extra (as a triallist).
Both of BTW's postcode & address checkers confirm that FTTC is available where we're moving to, and I've seen the cabinets, but I don't know the phone number. Can you do a better check so I can be sure it is available?
In the summer, we had a terrible time getting FTTC installed, with BT missing appointments (ask Adam); this time I need to be rock-solid certain that BT will turn up for the appointment, or that we get sufficient notice if they cancel. Is there a way to guarantee that BT turn up - or at least that I find out early enough so I don't waste the 8hr round-trip time?
What kind of lead-times are around at present? This would be the main Harrogate exchange.
I'd probably be looking at moving the broadband component, leaving the existing BT line in place, and taking out a new line - probably as a PN-line, and possibly with the "anytime" component added.
Is this possible as a simultaneous provide? Would asking for a simultaneous provide affect the lead-time, or make it more or less likely that BT cancel the appointment? (I've seen plenty of less-than-glowing reports in the forums on SimProvides)
If an FTTC SimProvide doesn't happen, would it be possible to put plain ADSL on the line while waiting for the subsequent FTTC order to go through? Or would this make things too complicated?
As a triallist, we don't have any special contract lock-in. Would this change?
As a trialist, would we keep the 10Mbps upstream?
Cheers,
    Mike
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
45 REPLIES 45
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: FTTC Trialist & Home Move

Hi WWWombat,
Can you do a better check so I can be sure it is available?

Everything I can check shows that fibre is available.
What kind of lead-times are around at present? This would be the main Harrogate exchange.

We don't get a view of lead times specific to an exchange unfortunately but I am going to advise that you give as much notice as possible for the move, that should help ensure it's in as close as possible to the move and in case of any issues or delays (really, really hope there isn't!)
Is this possible as a simultaneous provide?

Yes, sim provides are now possible for fibre. The element of the order process that could increase the lead time the most is the line installation so a few weeks notice if possible would be advisable.
As a triallist, we don't have any special contract lock-in. Would this change?

No that wouldn't change.
As a trialist, would we keep the 10Mbps upstream?

You might lose that temporarily as part of the move process, but we can restore that shortly afterwards for you.
Best thing to do is give me a nudge when you're ready to go ahead with this and I don't mind keeping an eye on things from here again for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
plusnetdan
Dabbler

Adam
I was also an FTTC trialist and asked whether I could move my 10meg upstream. I was told NO and that the trial privileges remain with the property and can't me migrated.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: plusnetdan
I was also an FTTC trialist and asked whether I could move my 10meg upstream. I was told NO and that the trial privileges remain with the property and can't me migrated.

I'm sorry you were informed incorrectly, but we will let trialists keep their service (as long as fibre is available of course)
Jojo Smiley
plusnetdan
Dabbler

Hi Jojo
Will you put a note to that effect on my account? If you look you will see FTTC is available on my line I am just waiting for my Broadband service to be activated before Mr BT plugs me in.
Grin
WWWombat
Grafter

Thanks Adam; I'll get back when we get past the point of no return on signing for the property...
Plusnet Customer
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Will you put a note to that effect on my account?

We would but you're not a fibre trialist at present as far as I can see.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
plusnetdan
Dabbler

Thanks Adam
This isn't the trialist account. Jojo has all the details and is hopefully dealing with it.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi plusnetdan,
Thanks for your time on the phone earlier, just remember to let me know when your fibre goes active.
Jojo Smiley
plusnetdan
Dabbler

Jojo
More importantly thank you for taking the time to look into this for me. I'll get in touch again once up and running.
Truly appreciated.
WWWombat
Grafter

Hi Adam,
After a tiring day's outing to Yorkshire (a bit breezy 😉 ), I'll be ready to place the order tomorrow. Should I call through to the "house move" group, or do you want me to PM some details?
Ta,
  Mike
Plusnet Customer
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Mike,
you'll be better off placing the order with the house move team, just remember to let us know once you're up and running so that we can reinstate your trialist status.
Jojo Smiley
WWWombat
Grafter

I was just checking the account details before starting the house move, and came across a strange entry:
Extra Fibre Profit Foregone Contract (18 months)

for
£72.00(upon cancellation)

I can't find an explanation for that. Can you give me some clues? Should it not apply here?
It is dated the day that fibre went live - which is a good couple of months after it was ordered.
Plusnet Customer
WWWombat
Grafter

Haha - complication number 1....
The property has 3 flats, known as "Flat 1", "Flat 2" and "Flat 3", kinda obviously.
However, BT knows of these 3 flats plus one described as "3rd Floor Flat". There is no 3rd floor - and Flat 3 is at the top of the property.
This "3rd Floor Flat" is the one that seems to have the line, where "Flat 3" doesn't.
I just checked the DSL checker - and "3rd Floor Flat" gives a more precise FTTC estimate than "Flat 3", suggesting the same.
Trust BT, eh?
Plusnet Customer
WWWombat
Grafter

And complication 2...
From ticket 49708296, it looks like the order hasn't gone through as a simultaneous provide.
I've posted on the ticket, but is this a thing that can be changed? as I said there - it's a bit silly waiting 2 weeks to activate the line, and only then starting a 10 day wait for FTTC, or to even book an appointment!
Plusnet Customer