cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC Technicolor TG582n Problem

lushman2012

FTTC Technicolor TG582n Problem

Folks
I have a couple of niggling issues with the Technicolour router and was wondering if I am doing something wrong.
1. If I reboot the router it takes approximately 10 minutes for it to establish a connection. (Previously with a FTTC provider I used a Netgear WNR2000 and it rebooted/connected within a few minutes) It also does this with the Netgear.
2. Xbox live - I have two xboxes ( Only one used at a time)and have them both connected using home plugs and I have changed the router settings based on MAC addresses that they are gaming consoles. I have also got the firewall router set to standard. II have allowed for Xbox live on the network. I have an open NAT but over the last few days I have experienced issues connecting to friends or even finding games. Even with a reboot fails to rectify the problem. Last night I changed back to my Netgear and instantly connected to friends once the router eventually connected to the internet.
I would prefer to use the Technicolour but presently I couldn't be bothered with the frustration and also I don't like rebooting the fibre as I am getting a solid connection and don't want it upset Grin
TIA
9 REPLIES 9
prichardson
Grafter

Re: FTTC Technicolor TG582n Problem

Hi,
The fact you cannot connect for a period of 10 minuted after a reboot sounds like an issue related to the existing session (the one before the reboot) having not timed out.
Traditionally we do not see this problem with exception of when you swap a router out completely, though it is feasible for it to happen just because of a reboot.
It's certainly not good though, so we want to look into it further and workout why that is happening.
For it to have started after your provider swap suggests that it is something that has changed between your setups. Due to the way that FTTC is provided, the physical CAB and that equipment is clearly the same, but there are quite a number of things that could change or stay the same in a migration.
Can you advise who your previous supplier was, as this should give us an indication on what level of changes occurred other than our own equipment.
I'll point my colleague Matt to this thread regarding your Xbox issues, as NAT is certainly more his area.
lushman2012

Hi Phil
Thanks for the swift reply.
My previous provider was ADSL24. The problem occurs on every boot not just recently. When I went live with PN I put it down to the authentication process of a new connection and talking with the PN servers but every time I have had to reboot this happens.
Regarding the Xbox issues I don't believe its a NAT issue but more  firewall issue with the router. Unfortunately I can't disable the firewall within the router only lower the settings to 'standard' Any help with this would be great.
Regards
Paul
prichardson
Grafter

Thanks,
I will do some digging and see if we can find anything that may prompt this.
It's not our authentication that us causing this. The platform is capable of re-authenticating pretty much every single customer from scratch within 5 minutes (well, that's the theory, lets hope we never have to put it into practice). So just yourself authenticating like that shouldn't be an issue.
WWWombat
Grafter

The only times I have come across this is when I have swapped the router to a new one. My suspicion is that the modem has some ARP cache that keeps hold of the old router's MAC address.
The solution then is to reboot the modem before plugging the new router in.
If you reboot the modem, do you still have this problem? If so, how long does it take for the router to then reconnect (assuming a manual re-connect from the router too) - anything different?
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
lushman2012

Hi Wombat,
Thanks for the response. I would always follow the way BT installed it modem first once booted with green lights then connect the router. I have tried them both at the same time or not touching the modem and still the same approx 10 minutes to sync.
I am on a very long line (1.3 miles) by road from the cabinet and in past the rebooting didn't do my profile any good and before I left ADSL24 it appeared to be stuck at around 14Mb with a high ping (Line disconnecting between 0400-0600hrs nearly nightly with no explanation). Since coming across to PN my profile is 21Mb with a ping of 30ms and is solid so I try to avoid booting. I tried a bit of gaming earlier and no issues connecting now that I am back to the Netgear.
Paul
vetterlein
Grafter

WRT to your games ... did you perchance set up some iptable (NAT) rules incoming on the netgear , and have now forgotten about them ? (so need to do similar on 582?)
lushman2012

Hi,
No the only ports forwarded on the netgear are already configured on the 582n ie for xbox live being 3074
vetterlein
Grafter

The other thing I needed to do on both the technicolor582 and thomson 585v8 .... but NOT on the billion high security router
was add a static route .... my household network is 10.* an neither of these seemed able to figure this out via adverts etc...I had to add
it statically (details posted on this forum)
... If you use your router as your only source of IP addresses , this won't be an issue for you.
lushman2012

Thanks vetterlein
I will have a look at the posts and see what I can come up with.
The Netgear is holding its own at the minute as it should so I am in no hurry but would like to figure all this out.
Cheers