cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC Speed

Dodger21
Grafter

FTTC Speed

Can anyone suggest why I seem to have such a variation in connection speed? (see images below)
Since being connected to fibre in Aug last year the line performance has been very much hit and miss.
I have BT speed tests screen grabs that back this data up, all tests from the same machine and connected via cable.
I'm on a 40 meg connection
Thanks
14 REPLIES 14
Dodger21
Grafter

Re: FTTC Speed

Last image to finish the set.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi Dodger21,
I've taken a look at your connection and I can't really give you an exact answer as to what's causing your speeds to fluctuate so much, however, I can see that DLM has been shifting your speeds profiles around in order to keep the line stable.
As it stands, your syncing at 27.4 Mbps and you're hitting the top of your profile band which is: Downstream: 13.7M-27.4M Downstream, Interleaving Low & 3.6M-7.2M Upstream, Interleaving Off.
Your line estimate is 30Mb and you're not far from it, however, the fact that your line is fluctuating as much as it is, isn't great. I would expect your speeds to increase within the next couple of days*, given that your sync rate is maxing out the profile.
*Please see details on Caution Counter here: http://community.plus.net/library/browsing/fttc-dlm-what-it-is-how-it-works/
If there is something internally or externally causing interference on your line, it could cause errors on your line which DLM will move and take action to fix, this may result in lower speeds to ensure you have a stable connection.
Dodger21
Grafter

Hi Chris
Yes it is frustrating especially when I can get stable speeds in excess of 30 Megs for over a month and then it drops for no reason and BT (serval visits tell me they can find nothing wrong internally and just keep tinkering with the outside connections.
The large increase between the end of March and the beginning of April coincided with a faulty card being replaced in Preston which affected telephone numbers starting with my code, I had hope this was a fix but it seems not.
As far as profiles are con concerned below is what I’m currently getting from the BT speed test.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for that.
Would you mind giving the line 24 hours or so to see if DLM increases things overnight (I suspect it might) and then post the same speed test page back again? I'm looking for any improvement in the IP Profile and I can take a look at your line again?
Dodger21
Grafter

Will do.
Dodger21
Grafter

This mornings test, I will do one for the next 2 days.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

DLM has made some changes, your sync rate has jumped up to 35Mb now (I've just updated our Speed Profile to match that for you). You should notice an improvement within the next 24 hours Smiley
Dodger21
Grafter

Hi Chris
Was the change made without any intervention?
Also latest speed test.
Thanks
Dodger21
Grafter

Chris
I've just remembered I noticed this on the Zen maintenance section over the weekend and a similar jump in speed happen the last time this took place as the graphs show.
Could these have triggered a DLM reset?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It's not triggered a DLM Reset, DLM has looked at your line and has seen that it's error free and it's stable, so it's pushed the line band up, allowing you to sync higher. It does this when it's confident that the line can operate at a higher speed.
DLM acts on this automatically. You may need to log into your router and hit the 'Disconnect' and 'Connect' button for the changes to take effect (assuming you're using the Plusnet router).
Dodger21
Grafter

Do you mean the Openreach/BT vdsl modem?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Just the Plusnet router, not the modem.
Dodger21
Grafter

Chris the speed has increased, see attached.
Thanks
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Great stuff. Let's keep an eye on it and see if there are any further improvements over the next week or so.