cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC Speed drop after power cut?

lorisarvendu
Grafter

FTTC Speed drop after power cut?

Had a power cut yesterday.  When power came back up it took the WAN port of my Netgear router with it.  Sad
Phoned up PN and luckily it was under warranty so they'll send me a new one.  Smiley
However I was quoted 3-5 days.  So I figured there was no harm in having a spare, so I  bought a US robotics non-wireless router to tide me over.
Prior to this, speed tests have been fairly solid at 32Mb/s, but now they're stuck at 19.
I've done BT's FTTC speed test and it confirms my speed is 18.62 mbps, but it says my IP profile is 38.72.
During diagnosis of the fault there was much switching on and off of router and fibre modem.  Could this have altered anything, or is it  just coincidence?
-Dave
A tortoise? What's that?
You know what a turtle is? Same thing.
5 REPLIES 5
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: FTTC Speed drop after power cut?

Since the profile is still up at 38.72 the disconnects have not caused DLM to reduce your line sync speed so there's little, if any, reason for the slow speeds.
Might be worth a disconnect/reconnect via the router to change gateway and see if that helps, otherwise try switching it all off for at least 20-30 minutes then switch on the modem and wait long enough for it to sync before switching the router back on again.  If the low speeds still persist then you might need to raise a fault.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
pullenuk
Grafter

I would leave it if i was you. I had the same problem when i had to move the modem (which meant unplugging it). You might find the speed will climb up on it own. Don't keep cutting power to the modem or it will think there is a fault and your speed will go right down!
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

hmm, I'm wondering if that's anything to do with the router too? If it's still the same with the replacement router get a fault logged here: https://portal.plus.net/apps/kbdfaults
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
lorisarvendu
Grafter

Ha! Well obviously all routers are not created equal!  My replacement Netgear N150 arrived today (prompt service from PN, thanks guys!).  I checked the speed for one last time through the US Robotics - 19mbps - and then unpacked and set up the Netgear.
28mps.  So there you go. Routers affect speed.
Having said that, 28mps is a bit lower than I've ever had before, well apart from the last few days.  I wonder if that's down to this router or just one of those things again.  Time will tell.
And the moral of this story is: Don't buy the USRobotics USR8004 if you're on fibre.  Unless you just want a spare router for testing, which at £15 is a pretty good deal.
-Dave
A tortoise? What's that?
lorisarvendu
Grafter

Ah.  Back to 32mbps.  Momentary glitch then.  I wonder if it was the torrential rain we had last night? Cleared the pipes.
A tortoise? What's that?