cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC Speed Slowdown

kevingriffin

FTTC Speed Slowdown

Hi,
I have been with PlusNet for several months now and I am subscribed to the Unlimited Fibre product.
When I first signed up an estimated download speed of 48Mb/s and an upload speed of 9Mb/s was quoted.
When the BT engineer came he said that due to the closeness of the cabinet that was probably a conservative estimate and when he checked as part of the install I did indeed get a slightly higher connection speed.
However as time has gone on this has progressively dropped and I am now only achieving about 36Mb/s download and 7Mb/s upload.
I know that speed can drop due to crosstalk as more people are connected to the fibre cabinet, and I do think that I was one of the first in my area to be connected, but is this normal?
I am not exactly unhappy at the service, this is still a big improvement on the ASDL service that I had previously, but I would like to know if anything can be done to restore speeds back to what I had previously.
I have attached PlusNet's speed estimate and results from the BTW speedtest.
Thanks
Kevin
1 REPLY 1
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: FTTC Speed Slowdown

Hi there,
Aside from matching your profile on our side (which I've just done) I'm afraid there's not really a lot we can do, though I do believe a fix for crosstalk is in the pipeline - that'll get posted about once it's in place I've no doubt but I'm afraid we don't have any dates.