CONFUSED Shocked

4:53pm, Sunday 1 Jun 2014
[INTERNAL]
WP Product: WBC FTTC Annex A 20Mbit/s Up, 80Mbit/s Down, Standard Stability
WP Profile: 44800
WP Package: Unlimited Fibre
Ellacoya: Service_Offer_66
Exchange - GOLDTHORPE is a sub of MEXBOROUGH
SVLAN - No issues on 2 VPs, 1 VP is showing AMBER, EU is NOT connected.
TAGS - Downstream: 43000, Upstream: 10800
WLR - PASS
Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0001
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found but unable to check for customer equipment connected to modem.
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 37.1 Mbps
Upstream Speed 6.4 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Target Fix Time
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Profile Name 25M-49M Downstream, Interleaving Low - 3.6M-7.2M Upstream, Interleaving Off
Time Stamp 2014-05-31T09:15:00
Attribute: DownStream-BE UpStream-BE
TAP ID: TAP-1 TAP-1
Test ID: 1401463617 1401463618
Start Date/Time: 30-05-2014 16:25:26 30-05-2014 16:25:40
Policy Type: BestEffort BestEffort
Policy ID: FTTC FTTC
Profile Rate: 44939 20000
Test File Size: 48504060 463375
File Transfer Average Throughput/Session: 32550 5610

Summary - Line stable, sync and profiles show no issues, PTTR within limits.
Next Action - Return to EU.
Kind regards,
[mremoved]
[mremoved] - BOT - DSL Logged Faults
5:21pm, Sunday 1 Jun 2014
Dear Mr Rogerson,
Thank you for your patience.
I have run sufficient testing on your line and can see that all parameters look to be running correctly.
Firstly I can see the line has remained stable for the last week so this is encouraging. Secondly in terms of the speeds I can see that the synchronisation rate is normal for the length of your line. Your line is expected to achieve up to 43MB on the downstream and I can see it is currently running within limits of this level with the speedtest showing 32MB on a 37MB profile.
I must bring to your attention that the line checker which provides the estimates, it does not take into account a number of parameters which will affect the line meaning it is not always accurate. To put this into context the estimate is provided to the distribution point which is also accompanied by a standard algorithm that assumes the distance from the DP to the premises is 50metres, should you be an increased distance from the pole in the street or the underground feed then this is where the core speed is lost. The checker will simply take into account the length of the line as well as the circuits around you and what they have achieved. They do not account for the quality of the line whether it be copper or aluminium as well as the distance from the DP and/or the contention that will be on the service.
I am now returning this ticket to you so due to the nature of faults, we request that you monitor this for several days. I trust that your issue is now resolved so there should be no need to reply to this ticket however if the fault returns then please let us know and we can investigate further.
I apologise for any inconvenience this issue may of caused.
Please do not hesitate to get back in touch online at http://contactus.plus.net/ or by phone on 0345 140 0200 if we can be of further assistance.
Kind regards,
[mremoved]
[Sms Message: Plusnet: Your fault has been tested and the ticket has been updated. Full details can be found at http://contactus.plus.net/. We request you review this then get back in touch should further investigation be required. I apologise for the inconvenience this may be causing.]
Your Response
9:50pm, Monday 2 Jun 2014
Hello Daniel,
I am a little confused about the last reply, Do I read the information correct (QUOTE:"Profile Name 25M-49M Downstream, Interleaving Low - 3.6M-7.2M Upstream, Interleaving Off"). I thought my profile was 80 -20,with IP of 44. Will this mean that my fibre speed will remain as it is know,28 to 32mb down  and 4.5 to 5.8 mb up and not what i was receiving 10 days ago? (48 D - - 6.2 U)
Incedentaly the DP or pole is actually 10m away from front door. Also is 20% below estimate deemed acceptable.
Below is a speed test from think broadband.
Your Response
9:50pm, Monday 2 Jun 2014
Uploaded file attachment.
Name: SPEEDTEST300514 1230.jpg
Type: image/jpeg; charset=binary
jim:csa
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: FTTC Slowing Down Below Estimate

You've pasted the contents of your Fault Ticket here.
The testing is for internal use in case another member of the team needs to look at the history of the fault for any reason. In this instance, it looks as though Dan has tested your line and has found it to be running within acceptable limits thus no fault has been found with the service.
smiler1
Grafter

Hi Chris,
              just one query, if as Dan  quotes "my line is running satisfactory)!, Why am I paying for 80M/20M fibre when I am actualy getting 34M/6M ?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi smiler1,
You pay for the product that you're on which is Unlimited Fibre. The speeds of 80/20 are 'Up to' speeds. ADSL/VDSL are technologies of which speeds are dictated by distance as well as the quality of internal and external cabling quality.
For example, one person may live 100 meters from the Cabinet which would mean that they are likely to sync at the full 80/20. The further away you are from the cabinet, the lower your speeds are likely to be. For visual aid, this graph gives a good explanation http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/2013/chart-bt-fttc-vdsl2-speed-against-distance
smiler1
Grafter

Hi Chris,
    many thanks for your time and patience,
the line is stable at 34M down and 6M up now, (just wish we were a little nearer the estimate).
(The down speeds were up to 48M on the first 10 days )?

cheers 
smiler1
Grafter

latest speedtest
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

If your line can handle faster speeds, DLM will take that into consideration and will improve your speeds.
A large proportion of issues that we see isn't the length of the line in question, more that, if your sync rate is higher, the line starts to error, when this happens it can force your connection to drop or in some cases cause Packet Loss which can really affect the quality of the service.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

In many circumstances, a slower synch rate with fewer errors requiring fewer (if any) data retransmissions will result in an over all faster DATA transfer rate than that attained at the higher synch rate.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

smiler1
Grafter

hello everyone,

If you look at my first post on this topic (on 25/05/2014, 19:09) my speed download was 38.42Mb,        A drop from the orignal  stable of  48Mb down 5.5Mb up.
Now 11 days later is 33.03Mb down 6.83Mb up.
The speed is still reducing down but is increasing UP???
can anyone explain why.
      Regards  smiler1
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3545747638
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

We've got your Fault Ticket: (86346812), we'll provide you an update as son as Dan has one for you.
smiler1
Grafter

Hi Chris,

any update yet from Dan ?.
My download speed has reduced to 30 Mb .
My upload speed has increased to 7 Mb
BTdsl checker has a clean profile of 60Mb high 43Mb low ??.

Regards .K
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi,
You should be getting an update today on this.
smiler1
Grafter

Hi

Happy to hear that  Pn and  BTO do not consider the speed drop from above 48Mbs to 30Mbs a fault.
Glad to hear that any further speed drops will not be considered a fault unless it drops below 23 Mbs.
Phone exchange:
GOLDTHORPE
Estimated line speed:
43Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.)  - Checked on 2014-05-11 22:20:00

Regards
Happy user on 80/20 unlimited
smiler1
Grafter

It is clear to me that I am obviously on the  "B line impacted". With speeds in the low band .
Please see the above image, " btdsl checker".
My question is, why not reconnect my line to the clean A line, shown as available.?
As this was an engineer installation and initially was higher I would expect this to be a reasonable request "as in OFCOMS code of contract"
If this is not reasonable then I would expect a release of contract  due to failure to supply the estimated speed.
4g being the alternate as I am able to receivein excess of 25mbs.
That conclusion being that As You quote " unless my speed drops below 23 MBS you do not consider I have a fault"
So I have no guarantee that my line speed will not drop further due to further crosstalk being on already a degraded line.

Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

The 'Clean' and 'Impacted' are not two different lines.
They are pretty much 'Best Case' and 'Worse Case' scenarios. If you're on an impacted line, it's likely that something outside of BT's control may be affecting the line, such as electrical interference. Your speeds have to drop below a certain threshold for BT to consider a fault.
You mention Crosstalk, that's a pretty big thing at the minute and BT are aware of it. They're carrying out trials at the moment to try and eliminate this, I'd expect the result of the trial within the next year or so (no guarantees). So far, the trial has been successful and they're seeing that eliminating Crosstalk is proving to enhance the level/quality of service that's being delivered.