cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC Slowing Down Below Estimate

smiler1
Grafter

FTTC Slowing Down Below Estimate

My fibre broadband is slowing down, it was above estimate when first connected (6/5/14) at 65mb, then was pretty stable at 48 mb, Hover since approx thusday evening it is getting gradually slower, now down to 37mb.could anyone suggest why.
Unable to get any stats from the routers.[Moderator's note by Dick(Strat) All caps title edited as per forum rule.
35 REPLIES 35
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: FTTC Slowing Down Below Estimate

With fibre the modem has them and BTO lock them down, you have to ask what they have to hide in doing that, any way do this BTW test and pick further diagnostics then post the results here and someone from the DTC should pick it up tomorrow.
http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ ;  
smiler1
Grafter

Here are my test results as from your link terranova667, you will notice my speed is even slower now !!!
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi smiler1,
From looking at your screenshot, it looks as though you're running the Speed Test via Wireless. What results do you get with an Ethernet Cable connected?
smiler1
Grafter

JI Chris, here are my Ethernet results.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for doing that. Those results make sense when you look at your IP Profile, but as you say, your speeds are lower than what they should be.
Would you be able to raise a fault at http://faults.plus.net and we'll get this looked into for you?
smiler1
Grafter

Hi Chris, thanks for your input, I have raised a fault ticket.
I hope we can improve the situation.
                                cheers...
smiler1
Grafter

Hi Chris, My broadband was fine for half a day at 42mb down,howver it is back down again now. The email from BTO this morning stated line checked out with no faults!!
I have enclosed latest speedtest  results
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

You've mentioned on your Fault Ticket that you have noise on your telephone line, is this correct?
smiler1
Grafter

Hi Chris, shortly after speed test when generating fault ticket, (checked phone line as requested in fault report) line was noisey (crackling and light background hiss). this was at around midnight yesterday.
However line is clear now 12.30am(noon)?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi,
It could be an intermittent issue. From memory, does this happen at a particular time?
smiler1
Grafter

No Chris I can't tie it down to any pattern at the moment.!
smiler1
Grafter

Hi Chris, there is only one thing that may be the reason,(last Thursday we had a severe electrical thunderstorm and rain like stair rods, the lighting struck real close it knocked all power off to the house for a few minutes), all problems have appeared since.?!?
smiler1
Grafter

One thing that puzzle me!, is according to the latest speed tests, my download speed has dropped, however the upload has increased slightly. Ie: upload 7mb upload download 33mb.?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

That makes sense. If your connection has dropped a few times or if the thunderstorms caused drop outs for whatever reason on the network, that might have caused DLM to apply the High Interleaving level and lower sync.
I've moved your Fault Ticket to our Faults Team so that they can take a look at the speed side of things. I'd expect an update within the next 48-72 hours.