cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC Routers and ADSL2+ compatibility

snowwolf
Dabbler

FTTC Routers and ADSL2+ compatibility

I'm experiencing speed problems on my ADSL2+ connection but am not sure if it is a problem with my connection or router (I get good speeds reported on all the speed tests, but actual speeds when using it are terrible - even during off peak where there should be limited traffic shaping). My router is a couple of years old and only supports 11g wifi so I have been thinking of upgrading it, but was waiting for my cabinet to be enabled for FTTC and then getting one of the supplied ones - exchange is enabled and cabinet is scheduled for 30 June (although this date has moved numerous times so not holding my breath).
However it looks like I might need to get a new router earlier. Do the FTTC routers support ADSL2+ connections so I can buy one now and use it until my cabinet is upgraded, or do I need to just get a cheap ADSL2+ router to test on my connection?
Thanks
2 REPLIES 2
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: FTTC Routers and ADSL2+ compatibility

Some do - but they aren't cheap - however you may be able to get this one from Plusnet TG582n for the usual 12 month tie in and £4.99 postage
Bald_Eagle1
Grafter

Re: FTTC Routers and ADSL2+ compatibility

The Echolife HG612 modem that is usually supplied by BT as part of the FTTC installation can be used in its default configuration on an ADSL connection.
If the modem is "unlocked" via freely available firmware download, you could have access to all its connection stats & also set it to be also used as a router.
However, it does only have 2 LAN ports.
These modems, sometimes described as Infinity Gateways or some other term are apparently often available on Ebay for relatively small sums.
If one was purchased now, it could be used as is & also used from the minute FTTC is installed.
Some existing ADSL modem/routers can have the modem part disabled in order to use it as a plain router in conjunction with a HG612 modem.
There are other expensive combined modem/routers that can be used on ADSL & then unoficially used with FTTC, such as Fritz!Box 7390.
Beware of the ECI FTTC modems. At this time these cannot be unlocked without soldering pins onto the pcb & therefore no stats can be obtained from them.

HTH