Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC Question

danm
Dabbler

FTTC Question

Hi there,
The exchange we are at (CLAUGHTON) was enabled for FTTC in 2012, our cabinet (59) is rather close to the exchange, however it still has not been upgraded (Still the small cabinet) to FTTC.
We are getting terrible speeds around a maximum of 500Kbp/s (5.1Mbps Down Rate and 0.1Mbps Up rate). I noticed quite a lot of t he cabinets around us have been upgraded except this one, I was hoping maybe you PlusNET guys maybe able to have a look in to what's going on, I know its asking for a bit much, but we haven't heard a thing, and dont know how to progress.
9 REPLIES 9
x47c
Grafter

Re: FTTC Question

Well there is something wrong anyway with your connection..........
Claughton is fully ADSL2+ enabled
So if you are close to the exchange you should be getting a lot more than 5.1Mbps
How far are you from the exchange? - not as the crow flies but as the road network runs as this is likely to the the route the cable to your house takes
to be honest if there is a line problem you need this sorting out before any FTTC comes.
Faulty lines on ADSL will be very faulty indeed on FTTC
There are many reasons why cabients are not upgraded - often the usual is simply that they do not serve enough people to make them viable and that limited funds available could be better spent on cabinet serving several hundred properties.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

The connection is fine, you should be seeing speeds in the region of 4Mb. If the cabinet is near the exchange, any people connected nearby may see pretty good speeds but it doesn't look at though you are close to your cabinet.
Your Speed Profiles are all looking fine at the moment. If you could take a look at http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/broadband-faults-guide-speed/ this should give you some background. Your Loop Loss is 49db.
We've no information on your cabinet with regards to FTTC availability. The best place to go and check regularly is https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/
x47c
Grafter

OK, if the loop loss is 49dB then the the OP is nowhere near the exchange.
The standard graphs for a 49 attenuation loss indicate a distance from the exchange around 3.5 to 4.0km.
As to whether FTTC will benefit them depend on how far they live away from the cabinet that supplies them as with FTTC is the distance from their distribution cabinet that matters and not the distance from the exchange as with plain old ADSL.
danm
Dabbler

Well from the cabinet, we are not that far, basically on the corner of our street is the cabinet so its not that far and the distance to the exchange following the road from our house in the most direct route would put it around 1.5 miles.
Ordered a new modem see if that fixes speed issues as the one we have is about 2 years old, new router though, its an ASUS RT-AC68U.
At the moment im getting terrible download speed of no more than 150-200Kbp/s, that started around a week a go.
Snapshot from thinkbroadband, set up monitoring early in the morning (Ignore the first red bars, I forgot to enable ping response). This is with low usage, not downloading or uploading anything.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, the modem is connected to the master socket with a new filter, and all other sockets have filters as well.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Between 1pm-3pm there's been a total uploaded of 206MB - any ideas where this might be coming from?
danm
Dabbler

No idea really, with our upload speeds I wouldn't even think that would be possible in that time?
The only things currently happening (Or have been happening in the last few hours) is just playing a couple of online video games and browsing the web.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I can provide you with some details on your usage broken down by the hour if that helps?
Is there any other devices connected to your router Wirelessly? You can upload quite a bit even with capped upstream, I'm wondering what exactly is saturating your connection if it isn't you, knowingly.
danm
Dabbler

Majority of things here are wired, if possible could you PM me a breakdown by hour, just to see if I can find what's using that large amount of upstream
Whatever it was, it seems to have calmed down a bit. Getting slightly higher speeds 300-400Kbp/s
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hmm - I've PM'd you the usage details, I hope it makes sense!