Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC Profile

matt_2k34
Grafter

FTTC Profile

Hey all
Story so far: FTTC Modem failed last friday, BT engineer came yday to replace - did a "template reset" (uhh? would this reset a training period?) after swapping hte modem and i got the best speeds ive ever got (37meg)
Resync at 5:24 this morning (looks like it was an immediate drop and reconnect) - UL speed is still the same, DL speed is now bouncing around like a yo-yo.
Current line speed: 6.5 Mb

Can someone give me a nudge? thinking this might be the problem  Roll_eyes
is it not possible to stop the system auto-redoing my IP Profile? as this is the second time ive had to get it nudged in just over 7 days.
Regards
11 REPLIES 11
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: FTTC Profile

Can you PM me the account this relates to, as the one we have doesn't match what you're saying Smiley
matt_2k34
Grafter

Aha sure Smiley sorry. forgot about that Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Done Smiley
matt_2k34
Grafter

Thank you!  Grin
matt_2k34
Grafter

OK Sorry to dig this thread back up again..
However, after being set to 37mb, (and the line performing better  than it ever has!) i ended up getting the "Snot Green" BT Wholesale page telling me i need to contact my ISP ... So i rebooted the router (Disconnect then connect - Last time this cured the problem!) - Reloaded pages, after huge amount of delay the Snot green page appeared. Marvellous.
Disconnected router, and reset modem.
Reconnect, bing, no problems whatsoever - BUT
The DLM seemed to think i (for some reason?) caused multiple drops (2, and they were 'clean'! ), and has applied Interleaving and has reduced the line to 22meg. (15 meg loss Sad )
I dont mind interleaving, aslong as its at full speed, and i dont mind slow speed, as long as theres super fast latency, Crap latency + poop speed =  Angry
Download speedachieved during the test was - 18819 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 12000-23637 Kbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is -23637 Kbps
When the engineer was here, he did a "template reset" via BT Wholesale, which he said would put it back up to 'full' speed ( im guessing this is another term for SNR reset / reset training period??)
Am i going to have to put up with this speed for ~15 days like before, when the same thing happened under suspiciously similar circumstances?

(this is line #2 from sig, acc = matt2k34)
Many thanks if anything can be done!
Regards
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

We've no mechanism of resetting an FTTC circuit really, either ourselves or by request, so sitting tight is probably your best bet Sad
FYI, the Wholesale landing pages can typically be avoided by hardcoding our DNS addresses into your router.
I'm not sure I'd consider 19Mbps to be a 'poop speed', surely your latency isn't overly bad either?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

matt_2k34
Grafter

Heh, fair point however it seems very aggressive in removing speed? A 15mbps drop is *huge* IMHO. And while it's not as bad as I guess I was making out, it's a hell of a difference when you get used to instant loading & no delay.
2.7MB/s isn't as good as 4.7MB/s 🙂
Is there an ETA on BT rolling out it's system so that you *can* make changes? E.g seen as BT has gone public with it's FTTC/P plans for speed increases next year?
Regards
StuartUK35
Grafter

as you pointed out the other day, some applications use only KB in throughput, so why worry that your only getting 22mb (2.1mb rate)......
Should'nt be any delay and so on, as you said the other day..... Wink
matt_2k34
Grafter

uhh, because im not complaining of the speed for VPN/Gaming or the shaping, as im using pro.
2.7MB/s isn't as good as 4.7MB/s 🙂

Clearly references a download speed, during off-peak time  Wink
Regards
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: Matt_2k34
Is there an ETA on BT rolling out it's system so that you *can* make changes? E.g seen as BT has gone public with it's FTTC/P plans for speed increases next year?

Not as yet, though as soon as we know anything (or are able) you'll find out.
matt_2k34
Grafter

Sounds good,
Thanks for your time Bob & Matt Smiley
Regards