cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC Packet Loss

bigchris13

FTTC Packet Loss

Afternoon,
Any other fibre customers been having speed or packet loss problems today?
I've had a number of drop-outs this afternoon where internet becomes slow and unusable and found I'm getting a fair amount of packets dropped;
--- google.com ping statistics ---
25 packets transmitted, 20 received, 20% packet loss, time 38068ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 10.220/10.600/10.952/0.232 ms
Resetting just the PPPoE connection and hopping to another gateway seems to resolve the problem, for a short while anyway and then it will start doing the same thing again. So wondering if this a gateway issue or just something I'm seeing?
Regards,
Chris
6 REPLIES 6
AndyH
Grafter

Re: FTTC Packet Loss

Seems a bit strange.
Is it still bad? What happens if you ping bbc.co.uk?
Worth keeping an eye on specific gateways and noting them.
Tabbycat
Dabbler

Interesting, I've had this problem daily since joining Plusnet (20th March). I'm on Fibre Unlimited. Packet loss is random, but when it happens, access to Internet is disrupted (making it impossible to stream reliably for any length of time) and I see packet loss when pinging Google or www.BBC.co.uk.
Currently running a speed test 24x7 to capture stats every 10 minutes. If the packet loss is severe or sustained, then it coincides with a line re-sync and WAN IP change. When this happens, Plusnet have reported seeing a corresponding RADIUS disconnect.
I have a fault ticket open with Plusnet, so will see what transpires.
AndyH
Grafter

It might be worth setting up a ping monitor too - http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/monitors.html
This pings your router every sec of the day and plots the results on a graph. It will show you exactly when you're getting packet loss.
The only downside is if you're on a dynamic IP (changes when you disconnect), you will need to create a new graph each time. But the previous graphs should be stored for you.
bigchris13

I've also got a support query open. They're sending me a replacement plusnet router to try first before progressing the fault to BT but I seemed to have the same issue using their router and my Smoothwall firewall so I'm not too hopeful it's going to fix it.
Thanks for the link to ping tester. I'll get that set-up to keep track of the connection when I'm not using it.
Cheers,
Chris
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Thanks for the update on your situation, keep us posted.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
bigchris13

New router has arrived today however the line seems to have already stabilised since 4pm yesterday with no real packet loss since then.
Going to continue monitoring on the existing plusnet router for now but hopefully someone's found the problem upstream and already resolved it!  Smiley