cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC Not so great

Paulagnew

FTTC Not so great

I've only had FTTC set up for a few days but the speed is terrible. I was getting a steady 3mbps for years on the normal broadband service now I'm struggling to get over 1mbps with the fibre. Hope it improves over the next few days or I think a May have a case to cancel the fibre and go back to old school broadband
16 REPLIES 16
picbits
Rising Star

Re: FTTC Not so great

Are you trying it over a wireless or wired connection ?
Have you tried turning the modem and router off for 5 minutes then on again ? (Don't do this too often !)
Paulagnew

Thanks after resetting router and modem I'm back up around 30mbps. Still no were near the 50mbps  I'm told I could expect but hopefully after the initial 10 days bedding in period this will improve
Paulagnew

Nope gone again it seems it will only hold a reasonable speed for a short period then drops out again
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Have you raised a fault with us at all? We really need to get this looked into.
You can raise a fault at http://faults.plus.net - we'll get the line checked out as something might be causing the intermittent low speeds.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You haven't said if that is wired or wireless.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
bradw
Grafter

Done on ipad so it's got to be wireless
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Speeds via Wireless can never be guaranteed unfortunately.
What sort of speeds are you seeing with an Ethernet Connection?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Wireless can be affected by other networks nearby. You may find setting a different wireless channel (rather than leaving it on automatic) can help.
Paulagnew

Sorry guys tried hard wiring to the router and yeah the speed shot up to over 70mbs so must have some major interference via wi-fi. I have never experienced that with my netgear routers so may poke about in the router settings to see if I can improve reception
Paulagnew

Is there another compatible router I can buy with more Ethernet ports as the three on the original router won't be enough if I have to hardwire all my equipment laptop, TV , xboxes, playstation,Apple TV etc
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Why not buy something like an 8 port Ethernet switch? That will only be around £10-£15
Or you could go up to something like http://www.ebuyer.com/428129-tp-link-tl-sg108-8-port-gigabit-desktop-switch-steel-case-tl-sg108 which would give you Gigabit speeds between devices on your LAN.
grahamt
Rising Star

There are many other routers available. I'm happy with the Netgear WNR1000 Plusnet supplied when I first got FTTC, but it's a bit old now, so probably better to look at a newer model (and probably at an N300 model rather than the N150 standard of the WNR1000). Or I'm sure other people could point you towards one of the ASUS models that seem popular.
But before you do that, why not download the free program InSSIDer to one of your wireless computers (it's certainly available for Windows and Android, and I assume it's also available for Apple OSs). That will tell you whether you're using the best channel for wifi and show you where the likely sources of interference are. If you then can't get a better speed on a less crowded channel, by all means look for another router.
tonycollinet
Grafter

As Jelv said - switch is what you need. One wire from switch to router. Gives 6 extra ports (when accounting for the two lost by connecting switch to router).
tonycollinet
Grafter

Quote from: Paulagnew
Sorry guys tried hard wiring to the router and yeah the speed shot up to over 70mbs so must have some major interference via wi-fi. I have never experienced that with my netgear routers so may poke about in the router settings to see if I can improve reception

If you've got an android device, you can use wifi analyser to find free channels in your area. May be something similar for IOS - not sure.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en_GB