cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC Newly upgraded Cornish Exchanges

David_W
Rising Star

Re: FTTC Newly upgraded Cornish Exchanges

According to this link your exchange is already Fibre enabled.  Head on over to http://trials.plus.net and see if you can sign up to the Fibre to the Cabinet trial, with luck you'll be on the trial before you know it Smiley
Grinny
Grafter

as I said I got the call today and It's all in the works but I'm sure there's no FTTC cab nearby, if there's no problems I'm more than happy  Cheesy
Although it's a shame I can't get FTTP but I guess thats asking for to much, lol
But I didn't do it though the trials.plus.net link I did it though the home page sign up link, was that wrong???
Grinny
Grafter

Got a call from BT Infinity trying to flog Fiber though them and after looking into it he said it not gonna happen as soon as I was led to believe by plusnet and so it seems my fears are justified and in this case the left hand don't know what the right is doing  Angry
With limited information available to the public only planing app's seem to show a flawed strategy and I quote from a BT representative "seems most people that want it can't get it" where as in my area not only this is true but the people that probably don't want it can get it.
God I'm really starting to whine about this, soz  Sad
David_W
Rising Star

BT don't need planning permission to set up a new cabinet (except in conservation areas).  If you know where your cabinet actually is, pop on down there and see if you can see a bigger one, if you can, that's fibre.  Also try the trials!
Grinny
Grafter

Ahh that would explain it about the planning app's  Embarrassed
My cab is right out my window and hasn't changed, Standard copper line type, So I guess that excludes me from the trials too as BT ain't going to lay 2km of fibre early just for me, am I wrong about that?
David_W
Rising Star

Honestly I have no idea, this post is from a guy who's 4km from the cabinet but as you have a cabinet they may take it from there not the exchange, you won't really know until you find out, it may be a no, like I said I have no idea.
Grinny
Grafter

OH now this is getting interesting, reading up on FTTx tech it seems that FTTC is ideal at around 300m however if FTTN (Fiber-to-the-node) is used it can be up to several km away, "fiber to the node is less costly to deploy. In the long-term, however, its bandwidth potential is limited relative to implementations which bring the fiber still closer to the subscriber" - wikipidia
seems this more like a upgraded adsl as it will properly most likely use VDSL all the way to the exchange  Shocked if this is the case it sounds like a bit of a cop out on the government's promise of  "a big step" towards its goal of best broadband network in Europe but guess I'll have to wait and see, thanks for the info
Epyon
Grafter

I know in liverpool they started trialing PDSL @ 200mbps which is interesting
http://www.eweekeurope.co.uk/news/liverpool-to-trial-200-mbps-powerline-broadband-17089
WWWombat
Grafter

Quote from: Grinny
seems this more like a upgraded adsl as it will properly most likely use VDSL all the way to the exchange 

The ANFP spec governs what can be connected to BT's wires (whether by BT, LLU or end users). That spec allows VDSL2 frequencies from the cabinet, but NOT from the exchange.
So BT's FTTC rollout uses VDSL2 technology, and isn't available to those with exchange-direct lines.
Kingston Communications (Hull) seem to be doing the same, but not using VDSL2. As far as I can tell, they are rolling out FTTC in the villages surrounding Hull, but are using ADSL2+ in the cabinets. Those villages are in BT territory, rather than KC's - so there is no exchange (at least not locally).
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
Grinny
Grafter

@Epyon
Yeah I remember powerline networking trials way back but never heard anything more, always sounded like a great idea    Grin
@WWWombat
Thanks for that info you sure know your stuff even if it's left me even more confused about whats happening in my area.
Grinny
Grafter

Got FTTC now after engineer arrived unexpectedly need to get finish some cabling today and I'm waiting for Netgear WRN1000v2 after some billing probs but managed to get my WRT54GS to work on PPPoE and geting 20ms pings so happy so far  Cheesy Oh yeah it seems that my connection is routed at my old copper cab to the new FTTC cab up the road somewhere and not a direct connection to the new cab, I guess I must have walked past it the other day  Embarrassed
WWWombat
Grafter

That's different - I don't think we've seen anyone whose connection ends up routed via a second cabinet.
I wonder if this difference is because BT are being paid to roll out FTTC to the entirety of Cornwall, including any uneconomic cabinets. I guess this kind of design helps improve the availability at a reduced cost.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
Grinny
Grafter

Just did some cabling and knocked off 5ms now at 15ms avg ping to www.bbc.co.uk ; Cheesy
Gona try the xbox now  Cool