Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC New Housing Estate

minimos
Grafter

FTTC New Housing Estate

Hi,
I have recently just purchased a house on a new housing estate, where the home will be completed around July.  It is only Phase 1 and I should be one of the first residents moving into the estate.
One of my check items was the availability of fibre in the new area as I could not go back to the flaky speeds of ASDL with having FTTC for 2 years.  As the house is not yet built I was able to put in the address of the marketing suite for the site and selecting a new line install gave me the option of Fibre which confirmed to me that the area has been enabled at the exchange and cab.
However, after doing some reading on the net it would appear that all may not be that cut and dry for me getting FTTC with various posts suggesting that BT may install a new cab on recently built estates if there is not sufficient capacity in the near by cab for them to install lines and then not bother to fibre enable them as they are not in the current roll out plan, however these posts are usually over 2 years old when FTTC roll out was not in full swing.
I emailed the newsite development team for house builders at Open Reach with this query thinking they may be able to tell me the results of a survey for the site and advice whether there is a liklihood of it beiong a new cab and the feasibility for FTTC, but I got a stock response that they do not have access to that sort of data and to check with my supplier (not exactly helpful seeing as though the house is not built and I had already done that for existing builds in the area).

I really have 2 questions off the back of this which hopefully some helpful person at Plus Net towers can give me insight to:-
1.  Do Openreach install FTTC as standard now on any new cabinets if neighbouring cabinets are enabled for FTTC?
2.  If not, when I make the install request for a line at the new house, is there anyway for Plusnet to instruct Openreach to run the line from an existing cab if a new one is not enabled?
I'm a little nervous now that I may not get what I expected  Undecided
Minimos

5 REPLIES 5
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: FTTC New Housing Estate

Hi minimos,
Thank you for getting in touch Smiley
We can't guarantee that FTTC will be available, however, we would recommend that you speak to the on-site builders or the manager as they should have a contract with OpenReach regarding the availability for new lines at the estate.
It may be worth mentioning that some newly built estates have FTTP (Fibre to the premises) enabled instead of FTTC (Fibre to the cabinet), however, again, we cannot guarantee that this would be the case for your estate.
When you sign up for a new line to be installed we do not decide where this line is routed from. This is decided by OpenReach and we are unfortunately unable to make a request for a specific cabinet.
My advice would be to speak to the on-site building manager and ask what kind of agreement they have with OpenReach as this should hopefully be able to give you an idea of what service(s) will be available. We're very limited when it comes to any information as this is all in such early stages.
Sorry we can't be of more concrete help! Sad
minimos
Grafter

Hi,
I thought you may not have had the  but it was worth a try.
Thanks for the response, it's certainly a lot more helpful than OR have been with my query and gives me a different avenue to go down.
When I asked they would not discuss, but if I word my question baed on your suggestion I may get a different answer
Minimos
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Not a problem! Sorry we couldn't advise further!
Good luck and I hope you find that you're answer is that either FTTC or FTTP is going to available to you! Smiley
minimos
Grafter

Hi,
Just thought I would post an update of thank to Linn K.
I took your advice and spoke to the developer who had their engineer for utlilities answer my queries.
The good news is that there is no new cabinet to install based on an Openreach survey as there is sufficient capacity in an existing PCP nearby which is already FTTC enabled but no FTTP, but he did quote the FTTP on Demand product as an option if I was to order ith through my provider (it would be nice but I certainly would not want to pay the new premiums Openreach are introducing from May this year).
Now, another quick question, the FTTC cab in question looks to be one of the smaller units supporting only 128 lines.
The house is not due to be complete until around June / July but others will be built before then so there is a possibility that the cab may have taken its fill of lines by then (I know this happens because my current address has no more capacity in the cabinet, luckily I was one of the first to install once it went live).
Is there anyway for Plusnet to reserve a slot in the cab?  I doubt this will be possible, but if you don't ask you don't get  Wink
I have the cab details supplied from the builder if they are needed.
Thanks
Minimos
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi Minimos,
Unfortunately we can't reserve a slot, however, as soon as the lines are in and your address is recognised in the relevant databases (Openreach/Royal Mail) for example, you can place an order and we can do everything we can to get you a slot - no guarantees though.
You would be surprised at how many people just use the Internet for browsing and e-mails and don't take up FTTC (I'd have it regardless :P)
Fingers crossed we can get you a slot though!