Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC Moving Master or extension routed outside

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

FTTC Moving Master or extension routed outside

Just thinking about moving to fibre. Master is currently in hallway but router and all PC kit and servers in spare bedroom (connected to telephone extension point). Would installers either move master to bedroom or route extension cable outside (maybe also through attic space) - it would not be possible to run cabling inside as wife would never agree to it!. I need some of the kit wired into the router and don't really want to mess around with wireless links. I would happily pay extra but if it is possible how do I arrange for a non-standard install?
Thanks
PT
3 REPLIES 3
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: FTTC Moving Master or extension routed outside

Hi PhyllisTyne,
I can confirm that the fibre engineer wouldn't relocate the master socket for you although we do have the option to authorise an extension kit to be installed. This would be an ethernet cable which would run from the master socket to any point in the house (up to 30 meters) but I'm afraid that this wouldn't cover a tricky external into internal installation.
Alternatively you could look to speak with a local electrician and enquire about having an ethernet cable installed from the master socket to the room you desire and have this done externally then dropped into the loft.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

...or look at using LAN over power (dLAN).  I ues a pair of Devolo units (one is also a wifi AP).  They work really well and there are no wires for SWMBO to be concerned over!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Thanks both, I will look into getting someone else to sort it from the master.
Towman, I do use these for some purposes but our wiring isn't that great so it can be a bit flaky!