cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC Modem Change

Cathotel
Grafter

Re: Modem

Had mine done yesterday but they didn't change PSU as some folk are saying they should.  Claimed not to know about them.  All his boxes contained just the modem, no leads/PSU etc so assume these are refurbished ones to the 3B spec?
Not worried about PSU as the consumption is less than 6 watts and runs cool after 24hrs.
woodyknows

Re: FTTC Modem Change

I didn't know anything about the modem change when I received a call from Kelly Communications last Saturday. My immediate suspicions of a scam were not dampened when my questions were not well answered. There was no recognition of PlusNet when I mentioned the name during our conversation and given that I had had no problem with my connection and I was being asked to let someone into my property to replace "a box on the wall" I considered the call to be a scam and reported it to abuse@bt.com.
It wasn't until the Monday morning, when a letter from PlusNet arrived advising of the equipment change, that my mind was settled.
The appointment time has come and gone, so I hope the call I've now made to KC will initiate a callback with an explanation.
Frogger
Grafter

My appointment was for 1:00-5:00 slot, Kelly's engineer gone by 1:04. Router did lot log on at first attempt. But a reboot of the router, caused it to log on in normal time. No futher issues. Speedtests before and after were almost identical at 37.4 mbps  Smiley
The engineer did NOT swap my PSU. Although in and out quickly he did wait until I confirmed all was well.
square
Grafter

My appointment was for 1:00 to 5:00 slot. He came at 3.45 and just replaced the modem and not the power supply. It took 15 minutes for the router to reconnect. He said the HomeHub's reconnected immediately and that one Netgear router took 20 minutes to reconnect.
I queried the need for a replacement as I have already had mine replaced when it failed shortly after getting it. The engineer said the replacement was to do with the change in speeds that are coming and not failure of the modem.
My router now shows the date as January 2003 and there doesn't seem to be anyway to reset this. The manual says the router accesses a time server but it has now been connected for over an hour and it still shows Jan 2003. (Edit: It updated over 4 hours later)
JEB
Grafter

It has nothing to do with a change in speeds.  It is concerning that Kelly is giving out duff information.
If the router took a long time to reconnect I expect this is due to a stale PPP session.  If you had disconnected the session before swapping the modem it would have reconnected with problem.

James
G3YBO
Grafter

Re: Modem

I did ask about PSU but did not have one in the box......So see how we go with it..........Roger
mikeyriot
Grafter

I'm still waiting for a letter, which I presume I'll get since I had FTTC fitted last January/February?
TBSteve
Grafter

Got the letter on Friday, tried booking appointment online, but the reference number was reported as invalid.
Sent and email Friday eventing to Kelly Comms, got a phone call Monday morning offering any appointment time this week.
Picked Tuesday afternoon, it was a BT OR Van and engineer that turned up. Seems the Kelly guys did most of the BT NI FTTC customers, and the BT OR guys are mopping up the rest in 'Norn Iron'.
I also had to reboot the router a couple of times to reconnect, but once all was well the BT OR guy went on his way.
He did replace the PSU, so I have the white one now.
Never had an issue with the old one, never once felt hot, but always had it mounted vertically, on a cool wall near the front door - to keep it out of the way more than anything else.
WWWombat
Grafter

Quote from: JEB
If the router took a long time to reconnect I expect this is due to a stale PPP session.  If you had disconnected the session before swapping the modem it would have reconnected with problem.

When the modem isn't being swapped (such as a power-cycle of the modem), the router is *much* quicker to respond, and retry PPP - so it seems unlikely that this is *just* a problem at PPP level.
I suspect that the issue is more to do with ARP caching,  or whatever the equivalent on that WAN connection is called  (PPPoE Discovery?) - where the router is caching the ethernet MAC address of the modem. If the modem is swapped (so the MAC address changes), but the router carries on trying to establish PPP to the old address, you'd see this kind of delay. As different routers probably employ different timeouts for these caches, you'd see different results.
A reboot o the router obviously will clear the cache quickly...
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Sorry to sound stupid, but who are Kelly Comms?
Frogger
Grafter

Kelly Comms are a contracting Company with Offices in Dunstable who are doing t he job on Behalf of BT Openreach. They are fully integrated with BT security wise and have White Vans which bear the logo, Working in conjunction with BT Openreach.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Quote from: TBSteve
Got the letter on Friday, tried booking appointment online, but the reference number was reported as invalid

I don't suppose you noted down the error code did you?  We've had a couple of reports of this and the next day the reference number worked.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
peterfleet
Grafter

Had my fibre modem exchanged this morning by someone who said he worked for OpenReach, not Kelly Communications although the appointment was set up by Kelly Communications. New modem is a 3B with a 1amp rating. I asked if he could change the PSU to 1 amp white version. He said he that he had not been instructed to change the PSU but he carried white PSUs as part of the new modem kits in his van. He changed the existing black PSU rated 0.6 amp to a white 1 amp version.
All seems to be well.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for letting us know. Glad it went ok Smiley
TBSteve
Grafter

Quote from: Kelly
Quote from: TBSteve
Got the letter on Friday, tried booking appointment online, but the reference number was reported as invalid

I don't suppose you noted down the error code did you?  We've had a couple of reports of this and the next day the reference number worked.

I don't think there was an error code, just a message saying the code was invalid, and if problems persisted to email them, which they did. 🙂