cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC: Maximum speed via wireless using TG582n?

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

FTTC: Maximum speed via wireless using TG582n?

There's a lot of criticism of the wireless capability of the TG582n at the moment. I'd be very interested in seeing what speeds users are actually seeing in practice over wireless using this router.
So please could people post the following information:
  • The best download speed they see using wireless
  • If wired is giving better speeds what they get using that
  • What wireless adapter they are using in their PC etc.
    Finally, if they've swapped to a different router what sort of speeds they are now getting as a comparison.
    EDIT: Forgot FTTP users - they can join in as well!
  • jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
       Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
    Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
    Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
    Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
    13 REPLIES 13
    smartyKD
    Dabbler

Re: FTTC: Maximum speed via wireless using TG582n?

Hi,
    On the TG582n I was at best, getting:
    Wireless: 20dwn/15up
    Hard wired: 45dwn/15up

Now on the BT Home Hub 3 (HH3):
    Wireless: 30dwn/15up
    Hard wired: 60dwn/15up

Upload has been pretty consistent, but as you can see on HH3 download speeds a lot better, wired and wireless. Not only that the TG582n would drop my wireless connection frequently and reset all my port forwarding and static IP settings.
    HH3 hasn't been rebooted once since last Friday, and has been working flawlessly.
    mcrossley
    Grafter

Windows 7 HP 6555b laptop with built-in "Broadcom 43224AG 802.11a/b/g/draft-n Wi-Fi Adapter"
    Multiple Wireless tests run back to back - 1.5 rooms away - about 10 metres distance (connection speed varying between 32 and 78 Mbps):
    Download/Upload (Mbps)
    25.4 / 15.6
    6.2 / 10.5
    4.5 / 12.8
    5.7 / 7.5
    5.6 / 8.8
    Wired direct to TG582n
    Download/Upload (Mbps)
    54.6 / 16.3
    54.7 / 16.3
    Today the wireless connection actually seems to be the best I have ever seen it - typical!
    Also interesting that my upload speed is often higher over wireless than the download - indicative that the signal from the TG582n is weak, and the signal from my laptop as seen on the router is better?
    I am giving up on the TG582n and expecting a new router to be delivered either today or tomorrow to replace it, I'll post the results using that (from the same wireless location) when I have it installed.
    smartyKD
    Dabbler

Just to be fair to the test - have you tried your wireless on a different channel?
    mcrossley
    Grafter

I fixed the channel at 13 as that seems to be the optimum, however in the interests of 'fairness' I just reset the router to 'auto' channel selection. It hopped down to channel 1, and I reran the tests...
    down/up
    3.6 / 3.6
    3.6 / 4.1
    I fixed the channel because in auto mode the router tends to hop around the channels and interrupt my connection.
    Note: most the wifi routers I can see tend avoid channel 1 so I suspect there is some interference down that end of the spectrum.
    Also see the attached RSSI chart from inSSIDer - on channel 1 the signal from the TG582n is weaker from 10m away than from the BT Home hub I can see which is the 10m away, plus my front garden, plus the width of the road and pavements, plus the neighbours front garden, and maybe a bit into their house as well!
    Channel 13 seems to get a stronger signal from the router.
    PS: Switched back to channel 13 (seems consistently connected at 52 Mbps now)...
    Down/Up
    23.2 / 15.6
    23.1 / 15.6
    24.0 / 15.4
    29.4 / 15.3
    Seems better again now, it is just unreliable.
    smartyKD
    Dabbler

Ok cool. Just when I first got my HH3 it was on Auto but picking channel 1, max I saw was 7mb!! Switched to channel 6, now get around 25-30mb consistently.
    mcrossley
    Grafter

OK, just installed a TL-WR1043ND router in place of the TG582n, test laptop same place...
    Down/Up
    41.01 / 15.1
    45.2 / 15.8
    54.1 / 15.9

Please disregard the very low readings from earlier, I had left inSSIDer running, that kills wireless performance.  Embarrassed
    So wireless throughput has doubled from approx 25 / 15.6 to 50 / 15.9
    petertr2000
    Dabbler

I moved from O2/BE yesterday - could transfer files from my wireless desktop connection to my wired HTPC at 4MB/sec
    Using the PN router, I can now only transfer at 1.5MB.sec
    A massive difference, and lets face it, the O2 Wireless Box IV is hardly a "good" router itself.
    hymermanbill
    Grafter

I get just the same from the wired connection to my desktop from speedtest.net as I do to the wireless connection to my laptop. 46mb download and 10mb upload. Connected through a Huawei hg612 modem and a TG582 router.
    I have downloaded the Nero 12 trial which is a 293mb download and from the computer wired direct to the router and to the laptop connected wirelessly to the TG 582 I had a reported download rate of 5.7mb/sec  and the file downloaded in just over 50 seconds on each of them, there was no slowdown with the wireless at all.
    jelv
    Seasoned Hero
    Fixes: 10

What adapter do you have in the PC?
    jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
       Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
    Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
    Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
    Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
    hymermanbill
    Grafter

Quote from: jelv
    What adapter do you have in the PC?

If that was a question for me I have an nvidia 10/100/1000 Mbps adapter on the desktop and a realtec RTL8191SE LAN802.11N pcie-NIC card in the laptop. At least that is what device manager reports.
    w23
    Pro
    Fixes: 4

Quote from: hymermanbill
    realtec RTL8191SE LAN802.11N pcie-NIC card in the laptop.

Thanks hypermanbill, that information might prove useful to others.  Smiley
    A quick Google 'shopping ' search throws this result for this adapter: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=RTL8191SE&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=Palemoon:en-US:official&clien...
    How is your router mounted?  (horizontal / vertical (on wall) / orientation)?  Thanks again.
    Call me 'w23'
    At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
    Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
    hymermanbill
    Grafter

Quote from: w23
    How is your router mounted?  (horizontal / vertical (on wall) / orientation)?  Thanks again.

My router is just placed on the desk horizontally on one side of the room by my desktop. The laptop is generally on a desk at the other side of the room.
    w23
    Pro
    Fixes: 4

I can't help wondering if these routers are of  'variable quality', seems strange to have such differing reports of wireless connection speeds (no, I'm not doubting anyone's experience (good or bad)).
    Call me 'w23'
    At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
    Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.