cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC Live

tomxlisa
Grafter

FTTC Live

I have noticed the exchange has gone live now for FTTC but i still cant get it at my house, so i am guessing that this means my cabinet which i am connected to isn't done yet, how long does this normally take and is there anything you can check online to see about this?.
7 REPLIES 7
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: FTTC Live

This is supposed to be the 'definitive' checker, just keep checking regularly until it reports FTTC available  Smiley
https://www.btwholesale.com/pages/static/Community/Broadband_Community/Coverage/ADSL_Availibility_Ch...
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
tomxlisa
Grafter

It just seems silly that something at the exchange goes live that you still cant have, why not get all the cabinets sorted first and then get the exchange live and ready.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

maybe by enabling a few cabinets at a time they would know if there's a problem with the fibre system at the exchange before they have hundreds or thousands of customers all with problems?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
x47c
Grafter

There would seem to be two extremes:
1. Enable the exchange first and then sort out/activate each one cabinet as its completed.
2. Wait until all the cabinets are finished before activating the entire exchange area at one go.
Option 1 Is rather inefficient for BT
Option 2 is not good news for the consumers as they will all be waiting until the final cabinet is done....which might be a very long time.
So BT do a middle option.  The exchange is converted and the first 6 to 10 cabinets done.  The system is then released for service to the public.
As and when further cabinets are completed, they are added in to the active service when they are ready - probably in groups.
You also need to be aware that under BT's current roll out plan there may be some cabinets in an FTTC enabled exchange area which are not in the roll out plan at all for that exchange. 
There may be all sorts of reasons why.  One is certainly that the individual cabinet is not economically viable.  If it is a long way from the exchange but only serves say 50 houses you can see why. The the costs involved in getting fibre out to the cabinet though x miles of dodgy ducting, putting in the fibre box, sorting out the electric power from somewhere(?) all for only for 50 houses of which perhaps 50% will take up FTTC just make it a non starter.........without a government/taxpayers subsidy that is to pay for it.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Good explanation x47c even I've learnt something from that. No fibre for me until 2013 though so I can empathise with those playing the waiting game here, here's hoping my cabinet is one of the lucky ones! Smiley
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Adam i can tell you its well worth the wait  Wink FTTC is ace  Cool
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
David_W
Rising Star

I hate the waiting for fibre.  My exchange is green (yay!) and exchanges are going live around me (yay) but I'm FTTP which means I have no idea when it's going live.  Superfast Cornwall were looking at getting the information from BT of full rollout details for cabinets and FTTP but nothing has come of it yet.
If I offer you a virtual cookie Adam, can you find out when I'll get FTTP?  It's a nice virtual cookie with chocolate and hazelnuts in it!