TOTTON
Estimated line speed:
    1.0Mb (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit) - Checked on 2011-10-16 08:50:21
Current line speed:
    13 Mb
_________________-
BT Speedtest
> Download speedachieved during the test was - 35188 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 12000-38717 Kbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is -38717 Kbps
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: FTTC Line Speed Mystery

PlusNet 'current line speed' should be set to 37Mbps (that's the figure they normally use for FTTC connections (certainly any working at full speed as yours is).
The strange thing is it is not slowing down your throughput (35188 Kbps is very healthy). Maybe the figure is mis-reported, either way it ought to be corrected, perhaps a PN rep will sort it when they see this (normally in working hours).
How long have you been on FTTC?  If only just connected it may have simply not been adjusted yet.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
adagio
Grafter

Quote from: walker23
How long have you been on FTTC?  If only just connected it may have simply not been adjusted yet.

About 4 weeks. Ironically last week the situation was reversed, early last week Plusnet Line Speed said 35 Mbps my download speeds 12 Mbps. Had been on the verge of raising a ticket.
ffox
Pro

What does the  Plusnet "Current line speed" indicate?  Is it the Plusnet profile or just a number pulled out of the hat?  (Mine was 37Mb but it's now 35Mb although the BT profile hasn't changed from 38717.)
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi adagio,
I've just performed another line check only to see the same thing. However it would seem that the 1mb figure is derived from what you'd be able to receive in terms of connection speeds over a copper line.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
ffox
Pro

Hi Adam
Fair enough, but my question (and I think this is also adagio's question) is what does "Current line speed: 13 Mb" mean considering that the BT profile is 38717?
adagio
Grafter

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
. However it would seem that the 1mb figure is derived from what you'd be able to receive in terms of connection speeds over a copper line.

Hi Adam
I assumed that to be the case it has always been thus! Long way from exchange hence the upgrade to FTTC. Just a bit mystified as to what Plusnet's "Line Speed" means in this context and what effect it might have on performance. A few minutes ago http://speedtest.net/ indicated 37 Mbps.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@ffox - your profile on the delta report side from BT is definitely at 13000, which is why ours is set to the same. If you've a screencap of the speed test results then we can update it from this side, though as soon as a new delta report comes through it'll drop again.
@adagio - it looks like the delta report (and our own profile) are both set to 35000 as things stand, perhaps that's why the speedtest result shows as it does?
adagio
Grafter

Quote from: Matt
@adagio - it looks like the delta report (and our own profile) are both set to 35000 as things stand, perhaps that's why the speedtest result shows as it does?

Matt
Plusnet Member Centre Speed  https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
still shows
Telephone number:
   023808xxxxx
Phone exchange:
   TOTTON
Estimated line speed:
   1.0Mb (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit) - Checked on 2011-10-16 08:50:21
Current line speed:
   13 Mb
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Just checked again and it's set to 13000 on both our and BTs side, looks like it's been like that since the start of November without an update. It might be worth turning the modem off for a few minutes and then back on again if you haven't done that already, but if you have I recommend raising a fault and we'll get it sorted for you that way.
reddev87
Grafter

Just checked my "current line speed" and its set to 30Mb.
Even though im synced at the 39999k maximum limit, and my IP profile is 38717.
Strangely though, my throughput has not been impeded by PN's setting of 30Mb - current throughput is around 37.5Mbit.
lexusuk
Grafter

Hi reddev87 and adagio,
I've discussed this with a member of our networks team and it looks like the profiles set on our network layer may not be controlling your speed as expected which is allowing you to achieve higher speeds than that which should be possible given the profiles assigned.  Although this is not causing either of you any issues at the moment we will investigate this and update via this thread.
reddev87
Grafter

I wasn't complaining as such, I mean 37Mbit is what I should be getting, given that my IP profile is 38717 with a 39999 sync.
I just found it weird that A: PN have it set to 30Mbit, when it should match BT's IP profile, and B: My speed hasn't suffered because of it.
ffox
Pro

Why are there two profiles anyway?  I would have thought that one (BT's) was sufficient to provide any required control.  Two separate ones are a potential problem. Huh
caulbox
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I have to say that I do tend to agree. Whilst I can appreciate there might be some instances when Plusnet need to exert control to override BT profiles for various technical reasons.....Couldn't (and shouldn't?) any such instances be treated as exceptions, leaving the BT profile as sufficient for the mainstream?