cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC - How long is my copper?

kingkobra
Grafter

FTTC - How long is my copper?

Is there any way to find out how much copper is between me and the cabinet?
There is one less than 100 metres from our house, which is the one I thought we would be connected to, but when the OR engineer came out, that wasn't the one he went to (as I can see it from the upstairs window).
We get about 30Mb down and 5.5 up, and I guess that is as fast as its ever going to get unless FTTP becomes more widespread.
5 REPLIES 5
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: FTTC - How long is my copper?

Doing a phone number check at http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/pls/adsl/adslchecker.welcome should tell you the number of the cabinet that serves your line.
David
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

How does your speed compare with the estimate you were given when you ordered fibre?
kingkobra
Grafter

Yeah, I tried that but I have no idea where P66 is Smiley
The one down the road doesn't seem to have a number on it, and it's only a small-ish one.
I have no idea how the BT infrastructure is, but is it possible that I am connected to the small box down the road, but that in turn is connected via copper to a larger fibre enabled box somewhere else?
So P66 would be the fibre enabled box, but there is another sub-junction box between it and me?
kingkobra
Grafter

Actual and estimated speed are pretty much the same.
pengbo
Grafter

it's annoying when they don't number them.  took me ages to find mine and still not sure it's the right one as it is nearly 1KM away and my speedtest indicate it might be a lot closer than that.