cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC Fault?

JEB
Grafter

FTTC Fault?

Just thought I would post as I had an incident yesterday where I had no internet access for the majority of yesterday.  I'm currently on the 80/20 trial.
Yesterday morning I checked the VDSL modem logs and noticed that the modem has resynced but my PPP session had not dropped.  There is of course an ongoing issue about this happening and I decided to manually reconnect my session.  However after disconnecting I was unable to reconnect.  This was not a problem with my router as I tried two different ones are well as a direct connection to my PC.  From the router logs I don't think any information was able to pass out of the VDSL modem.  Various reboots of the modem did nothing and I ended up just leaving it alone.  Eventually not long before midnight the router managed to reconnect it self.
The other thing which seems strange is that the modem is reporting literally millions of CRC and other errors, even when I am not using the connection.  This doesn't seem right to me as if there really was that many errors I would expect DLM would resync my line very quickly.
I am just wondering if my modem is on the way out as I have one of the original models.  Anyway I have reported a fault (#52587135) but I just wondered if anyone had seen anything similar?

James
5 REPLIES 5
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: FTTC Fault?

Hi there,
Might seem a bit off topic but have you received a letter regarding the fibre modem replacement? If so it'd probably be quickest to arrange the appointment to get the modem switched out if you think it might be the cause of the problems.
JEB
Grafter

Hi Matt
Unfortunately I haven't had the letter from Kelly Communications yet and I don't know when it is likely to arrive.  I've had FTTC since mid 2010 so I should definitely be on the list for a replacement.  I'm surprised it has lasted this long given all the posts I have seen about them failing.
The fault team hasn't looked at the ticket yet so I don't know what their thoughts will be.  I do appreciate intermittent faults are awkward.  I'm just concerned given how the VDSL modems seem not just to fail outright, which would at least be straight forward, but instead fail then work again but invariable over time fail more than they work.

James
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi James,
I see a fault has now been raised with our supplier for a router replacement.
Jojo Smiley
JEB
Grafter

Hi jojo

Yes an engineer visit is in the process of being booked.
I'm sure I read that VDSL modem faults can cause DLM to think the line is dodgy and reduce the line profile.  Am I correct in thinking that I should make sure that the engineer phones through for a line reset (I forget the exact term) when he replaces the modem as BT will only do a line reset when there is an engineer on site?

James
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Yes, James, it's definitely worth getting him to do that. Smiley