Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: FTTC Download OK, upload very slow

It's had 2 days - see post #44
Stoker
Rising Star

Still only getting a whisker over 1 mbps upload.
Quote from: MisterW
AFAIK the Fault Threshold Rate (FTR) for upstream on a 10Mb provisioned line is the higher of 22.5% of the downstream sync or 2Mb. Your upstream, Stoker, is cleary well below that!.

Yes that seems to be confirmed here so I should be getting at least 6mbps upload. 1mbps would  clearly appear to qualify as a "fault".
But - can Openreach say "yes we admit it's a fault caused by crosstalk / REIN so we can't do anything, or "it's not a fault because it's crosstalk / REIN", or do they have to do something regardless of cost? Basically - just how bad can crosstalk / REIN be before OFCOM or an ISP can take some kind of formal enforcement action.
(I'm just asking generally - PlusNet are still on the case with Openreach).
LukeS
Grafter

I've raised a case to BT and I will get them to investigate further. However, Openreach aren't responsible for fixing REIN issues but they will attempt to locate the cause and resolve where possible.
Stoker
Rising Star

Thanks again. I just noticed that the test results you gave earlier (post #54) says "REIN: not detected" so maybe it's crosstalk which they can do something about - in theory.
Stoker
Rising Star

(I know Luke is away, just posting in case anyone is following my tale of woe ...)
We've had a succession of Openreach engineers visit who all do the same thing; change the faceplate, plug in their tester box, run line tests, say there's nothing wrong, do a reset then frown when upstream syncs at well under 1mbps but downstream is OK at 28mbps or so.
So finally one guy spent all day here measuring upload at various points between the cabinet and my house. He found upload was well over 4mbps at the last access point about 40 metres away - that's what I used to get here. Then in conversation with his tech support they found noise in a specific range that was affecting several other properties, though none had reported it. Maybe many people wouldn't even notice slow upload. So they promised a proper REIN investigation - Luke has assured me that someone high up in BT is aware of this.
Anyway, today an engineer calls, says he doesn't think it's REIN, swaps my modem and p***es off. Upload speed is (of course) unchanged.
I've been running DSLstats with an unlocked modem. Does this look OK?
LukeS
Grafter

Hi Stoker,
You've probably seen the update on the ticket.
Have you thought about trying to detect the REIN/noise yourself. I know it seems a bit over the top, I guess it just depends how far you want to go with it. I could probably try and find out the frequencies that the noise is being emitted but if you not you could test multiple channels.
We're still waiting for a further update but it may be just to confirm that they(Openreach) are no longer investigating the matter.
Stoker
Rising Star

I just tried wandering up and down the road with a radio and scanning medium wave (which I gather is the right band for REIN) but heard nothing between stations other than normal low-level static hiss. Nothing "regular" or anywhere louder than the rest
The frequency would help - also to see what that range looks like on the unlocked modem graphs.
LukeS
Grafter

I've asked the question  Shocked
Hopefully, I'll have answer by Tuesday/Wednesday
LukeS
Grafter

Thanks for your patience.
I've been told that the frequency of the noise is somewhere between 0 Mhz and 5 Mhz. Basically no help whatsoever as that pretty much covers everything for your connection.
Wholesale are trying to have the case re-opened.
Stoker
Rising Star

Well at least we can discount infra-red, visible light, UV and X-rays!
I'm intrigued by the theory that someone posted over on ThinkBroadband that it could be someone else's VDSL modem that was damaged in the thunderstorm that triggered all this.
The folks there have analysed the frequency table of my modem (which has been changed twice) in far more detail than BTO.
LukeS
Grafter

It sounds unlikely but it could be possible I suppose. The line would have to run quite close to it though.
I might be stating the obvious here... There seems to be a gap in the upstream tones which is where I'd expect 1Mb - 4Mb to be transmitted. The is likely to be the frequency range of the noise.
As to what you can do, my opinion is that Openreach should still be doing all they can to locate the root cause and the ball is still in their court as far as I'm concerned.