Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC DLM Reset

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

FTTC DLM Reset

I know this thread is nothing to do with my line problem but I just asking below:
I just wondering if Plusnet and other isp's willing to ask BT to have FTTC DLM reset once a month automatically without the need of engineer to go to the cabinet and reset DLM. Can they do that?
9 REPLIES 9
AndyH
Grafter

Re: FTTC DLM Reset

And the point of a reset being?
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

The reset dlm is for if FTTC dropping speed due to DLM change etc.
AndyH
Grafter

But DLM intervenes for a reason. By continually resetting DLM, you are just masking a problem if DLM is intervening.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

DLM is reducing speed because it finds too much crosstalk/noise and/or too many errors. And just like DLM on ADSL it's stabilising the line in those circumstances.
If you spent some of your time learning about the way thinks worked and why, then maybe you wouldn't make unrealistic requests and your understanding and your depth of knowledge would be better.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

And just like DLM on ADSL it's stabilising the line in those circumstances.

So why did my DLM reset earlier this year increase my d/l speed from 30 to 45?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

You may have had an unusual bout of interference to reduce it in the first place, it does happen. If it was a "one off" sort of event, then DLM should up your speed again in due course. I suspect there may well be exceptions if the connection actually gets banded.
The best example I can think of is, say a connection suffered a lot of noise due to lightning and lost sync, it very often will sync at a lower speed if the static is still present. That won't change until there is a resync for some reason. Even power dips can cause that.
Did you perchance try logging into the Router to drop your PPP session and then turn it & the modem off for an hour or so? (Remembering to login and click Connect when you boot everything up again).
chrcoluk
Grafter

DLM can be unhelpful e.g. on a line thats normally stable, but has a one of burst of problems, then DLM reacts the day after the problem and caps the line needlessly, in that situation a DLM reset is helpful.
However if a line has ongoing/chronic issues, resetting DLM will only make DLM relent temporarily and may also cause packetloss if errors are heavy on the line without DLM. In this situation you dont need a DLM reset you need the core problem fixing.
AndyH
Grafter

Quote from: chrcoluk
DLM can be unhelpful e.g. on a line thats normally stable, but has a one of burst of problems

Realistically though, how often do you think that happens?
chrcoluk
Grafter

on my line 3-4 times 😛 which I consider one off's as each individual issue had its own symptoms and had months in between on fast path with no issues.