cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC - Cabinet distance to speed ratio

lowmans100
Dabbler

FTTC - Cabinet distance to speed ratio

My house is sits between the FTTC cabinet and the BT pole, the cabinet is is about from 50m from my house and the pole is also about 50m from the house.
When I had the fibre broadband fitted earlier this week the BT guy said I should get my full 40Mbps speed, he said I had been put on a 40/10 service and at the time of being first connected I got  around 35Mbps which he said was about right since I have a 15m DSL extension cable between my master socket and the modem. I have not seen this speed since, I reported to Plusnet about the 40/10 profile and they told me that they had now put me on the 80/20 profile I was paying for.
A speed check today shows speeds of  26.8Mbps down and 4.94Mbps Up. The BT Performance test says that the lDownload IP Profile for my line is 28.43 Mbps and Upstream Rate IP profile on my line is 10 Mbps.
Having seen online that people living much further away from the FTTC cabinet than me are getting speeds in the 50Mbps - 70Mbps range do my numbers seem correct?  Huh
6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: FTTC - Cabinet distance to speed ratio

there are a couple of useful links in this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,124309.0.html
Is there any possibility of doing a temporary test with the modem connected to the master socket without the 15m extension
If your distances are correct you should raise a speed fault but please try with a very short modem cable first
lowmans100
Dabbler

Thanks for the quick reply, I'll test my speeds with the modem and router closer to the master socket over the weekend when the family are out. Looking at the graph/table on this site http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/2013/chart-bt-fttc-vdsl2-speed-against-distance I should expect the full 76Mbps speed.
The speeds I am getting are for the cabinet being 1.2km away, the closest cabinet to my house is around 50m away, the distance from the cabinet to the pole and then to my house is not any more than 200m. There is also another 'green' cabinet 130m from the one that is closest to my house.
The direct distance from my house to the exchange is 1.43 km and by road 2.6 km.
The BT Broadband Availability Checker says FTTC Range A (Clean) Down High 50.7 Low 35.2 & Up High 12.4 Low 7.8.
I am confused  Huh
HaydnExport
Grafter

You have an upstream ip profile of 10mb , that means you are on bt infinity option 1  , the cheapest package , if you want speeds in excess of 40mb down you will have to upgrade.
lowmans100
Dabbler

I am paying for Plusnet Unlimited up to 76Mbps.
I reported to Plusnet CS that the BT fitter had reported I was on a 40/10 service when I was connected on the 24th February and was assured that my profile was being updated to the 80/20 service I am paying for and that the profile would change within 24 hours. It appears that I have been told what I wanted to hear. I have asked CS through the help assistant to confirm to me directly that I had been switched over to the 80/20 profile but they have not replied.
Maybe one of the Plusnet guys here can tell me what service I am on?
Bald_Eagle1
Grafter

Your line COULD take a massive detour, include aluminium cabling or there could be a possibly intermittent HR fault.
Does your connection drop frequently?

Have you tried the logging/ graphing programs in order to get a really good picture of your connection's performance?:-
http://www.freewarefiles.com/HG612-Modem-Stats_program_84567.html
NOTE: You do need to use an unlocked Huawei HG612 modem (any version) to use the programs.

I mainly provide support for my programs in the Kitz forum, but as a Plusnet customer, I do call in here from time to time.

If you fancied a really long read about my own intermittent connection issues (that finally turned out to be a weak connection at the pole mounted DP), you could take a look here:-
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=9726.msg196417#msg196417

This is my latest posting in that thread (from today):-
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=9726.msg256802#msg256802

I have to say that Plusnet were very supportive throughout the 11 months my connection was experiencing the issue(s) & they arranged numerous BT engineer visits (at no cost to me).
I even had a few free of charge engineer visits to investigate my connection speed reductions (after 7 months or so of very acceptable speeds) that identified the crosstalk issue.
I'm not sure that any other ISP would have stuck with me for so long.
Maybe my own long term connection data/graphs helped?
(examples attached)

LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi lowmans100,
I have checked your account and ran a test on your line and your account is set to the correct connection profile. Your line is currently receiving 27Mbps speed downstream. Your speeds are set at 40/10 as you can only receive up to these speeds on your line. It would therefore not benefit you if you were on 80/20. If you want to we can amend your connection to 80/20, however, I don't believe that you would see an increase in your actual speeds.