Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC Cabinet Appeared!

shure
Grafter

FTTC Cabinet Appeared!

Hi all,
a gleaming FTTC cabinet has recently appeared just under 200m from my house and I saw an OR engineer working on the DSL cabinet behind it a few days ago.  Does anyone know whether there's an average length of time between erecting a cabinet and FTTC provision?  The When & Where website just says "within the next 6 months." Angry
Not that I'm impatient or anything Crazy
10 REPLIES 10
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: FTTC Cabinet Appeared!

In Inverness it took just under year for my cabinet to become active after they first went active in the city centre.  You might get lucky or not and it happens quick.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
shure
Grafter

wow, 12 months?  Isn't that some form of mental cruelty?  I was hoping for a matter of weeks Cry
On another note, what's the maximum capacity for a cabinet?  Our village has 606 homes but so far I've only seen the one cabinet.  Will we need to monitor every day to ensure we get a line?  Bit like ordering concert tickets Grin
GeordieMark
Grafter

I believe the large Huawei cabs can hold 288 connections, not sure on the smaller ones it depends which yours is
shure
Grafter

ah, thanks.  So it will be a scrum then when it does go online...
jrilton
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Mine was installed and powered up in May. Still no sign of it going live, BT checker says December 😞
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Mine has been there for over a year. 31 December 2014 says the checker.  Angry
The cabinet at the opposite end of the road has been live for about 10 months, but I'd need to move about 200 yards to be on that one.  Cry
shure
Grafter

My exchange is forecast as December 2014, while at the same time stating that it will be enabled in the next 6 months.  It doesn't drill down as far as the cabinet, unfortunately. 
having a live cabinet 200 yards away you can't use should be a punishable offence Sad
jrilton
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

There was a mad flurry of activity, even some weekend working digging up paths and laying cables when they first installed it... then nothing at all. Roadworks.org shows no BT work for the next 12 months anywhere in my exchange area. I know that can be updated at any time though. I'm hoping the 31 December date is just a generic date and its not that long or even longer!
hadden
Grafter

Our fibre cabinet was erected March 2013, then wired up to the original cabinet sometime later last year think.
Since April 2014 BT have been saying "FTTC is currently not available on this cabinet due to following reasons:- Sorry it's taking us longer than planned to get your cabinet ready for service. Please bear with us."
Latest availability date is end Sep 2014.
theograham1612
Grafter

I must be lucky, FTTC Cabinets were installed in my town November '13 some went live January '14 while I had to wait till August. Only had fibre optic a month maybe.