Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC CHECKER showing improved speeds

apollo1
Grafter

FTTC CHECKER showing improved speeds

Hi all
I ordered FTTC back in December and I currently have a BT speed profile of 37mb / 7mb up,
Previous BT checker search estimated speed was 32mb  down / 5 mb upon the BT checkers, so currently on the 40/10 plusnet essentials package
I put my number in last night in the BT wholesale checker , also the Plusnet product change shows I can order 51.9mb down / 10.9mb up on the £19.99 fibre unlimited package.
I shall be upgrading my account  Smiley    is this a common FTTC occurrence, the speeds increase after a while?Huh
Thanks
Gray
14 REPLIES 14
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: FTTC CHECKER showing improved speeds

Hi apollo1,
I've checked your line and can see that it's showing the estimates you have mentioned, it's not a common occurrence but can happen.
When/If you change to our unlimited product, it will take effect from your next billing date.
apollo1
Grafter

Hi Chris
I have put the order in and change will be on on 2nd Feb
Worth checking the number as its quite a big jump in speed.
Thanks
Gray
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Definitely, let me know how it goes.
apollo1
Grafter

Hi Chris
Could you have a look at my line,
My line now shows a lot less speed from the 51mb down 10.9mb up from the start of the year. The speed checkers  / bt wholesale checker now shows in the low 30mb's
The plusnet connection icon in the member centre shows
Estimated line speed:
31Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2013-08-23 21:29:09
Current line speed:
35.8 Mb
Seems a huge drop over the year.
Thanks in advance

chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
I've checked over your connection and see can see the decline in speed. Has anything changed at all internally?
apollo1
Grafter

Hi
Nothing at all has changed. I have done a couple of router disconnects in the last months then powered down the modem and then power up the modem then router but the speeds do not change.
Any ideas? Is there a graph you can post that shows the speed decline over the months?
Thanks
apollo1
Grafter

Tried the BT wholesale speed test and the results were
Download speedachieved during the test was - 34.08 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 16 Mbps-35.93 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 35.93 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 6.37Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps
apollo1
Grafter

raised a ticket for this #74583714
Thanks
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

There's no graph we have I'm afraid to show this, we've got your ticket and our faults team will take a look and update you ASAP.
apollo1
Grafter

Can fttc connection be reset as such at the exchange to regain the speeds lost?
Thanks
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

This can be done however it can only be done by a BT Openreach engineer at the cabinet.
As Chris put earlier the ticket is with us and we'll update you as soon as possible
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
apollo1
Grafter

Hi
The line is operating above the speed estimate that BT have recorded so there is no fault, I think this is more of a gerneral bt openreach problem with the line estimates changing around.
i upgraded to "upto 76mb" product on the basis i was receiving upto 51mb service and was only able to upgrade as it showed i could get a faster speed than the upto 38mb product., For a while i was receiving approx 45-48mb, which i was happy with, now i am receiving just 31mb, which is not even upto the limits of your 38mb package i was originally on, the speed drop is quite large.
I suppose unless openreach have more accurate line testing this will be a common occurance.
I am approx 240 metres from the cabinet.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

There's nothing stopping your line syncing at a higher speed at the minute regarding your profile.
It may be that you line is currently at the max sync rate? Your cabinet may now have more connections which can reduce your speed due to crosstalk.

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

leave it a week without turning off the modem and then turn the power off to it +the router, it improved my connection by a huge amount  when it had crept down due to a power fault causing a lot of dc's .....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you