cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC Broadband down from ~40Mbps to 2-6Mbps. Not good enough PN!

DanielAllsopp

FTTC Broadband down from ~40Mbps to 2-6Mbps. Not good enough PN!

I've recently noticed that my FTTC broadband connection has suddenly dropped from a usually consistent 40Mbps down to anything between 2 and 6Mbps!
After trying all night to diagnose the problem by connecting directly to the router with my laptop, to disconnecting all other networked devices, to upgrading the PN router firmware, to restarting the OR router and the PN router... nothing is helping.
When I first got in from work, I was getting anywhere between 35 and 40Mbps, however, after probably about 7pm this dropped dramatically to the 2 to 6Mbps.
Tried the BT Wholesale Speed Tester and it does indeed look like there's something wrong with my downloads. Uploads are a little bit more consistent.
Can someone at PN advise please? I'm paying nearly £40 a month for a top notch FTTC service, which has been fine up until a few days ago, but this latest incident is woefully inadequate!
Thanks,
Daniel
BT Results & Line Speed below...

11 REPLIES 11
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: FTTC Broadband down from ~40Mbps to 2-6Mbps. Not good enough PN!

Did you click on the Continue button to carry out the further tests?
Also just to make sure something daft hasn't happened please check your Current Line speed (Login required)
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@ Anotherone
Current Line Speed is in the OP.
Anotherone
Champion

Woops, I was obviously asleep Embarrassed
AndyH
Grafter

If it's fine during the day and slow at night, it's more than likely going to be congestion.
@ DanielAllsopp - Which exchange are you on?
LenAsh
Grafter

This sounds familiar...  Wink
Anotherone
Champion

I was thinking the same Andy but didn't want to pre-judge it Wink
Daniel, apart from answering Andy's question you could usefully have a read of LenAsh's thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,130416.0.html for a few tips! But keep your own stuff here so as not to confuse each others connections.
DanielAllsopp

Thanks for the responses; I've looked through LenAsh's thread before creating my own, but nothing has helped.
I didn't go onto step 3 of the BT diagnostics as it required changing the username and password etc on the router which I wasn't keen on doing.
Congestion is a strange excuse to me; surely everyone on the exchange (regardless of provider) should be experiencing the same problems, yet my parents don't seem to be affected and they're on the same exchange, but with BT.
I'm connected to the MORPETH exchange up here in the North East and like I've already said, it's only become apparent in the last couple of days, when the kids' XBox would keep disconnecting, and watching NetFlix became impossible.
Here are my Speed Test results from this morning at 7.30am:

and again, here at 7.15pm:

Definitely something up with that, and congestion all of a sudden on the exchange, which appears to be happening to a lot of exchanges around the country, and all with PlusNet?
tonycollinet
Grafter

Does look like congestion - possibly of just some of the connections to the exchange.
If you can set up a think broadband ping monitor that will give you a good idea.
AndyH
Grafter

Quote from: DanielAllsopp
Congestion is a strange excuse to me; surely everyone on the exchange (regardless of provider) should be experiencing the same problems, yet my parents don't seem to be affected and they're on the same exchange, but with BT.

If you're seeing slow speeds at peak times (19:00-22:30) and at non-peak times everything is fine, then 9/10 times it will be congestion.
Your parents could be on a different SVLAN (this is the connection from your exchange to the BT Wholesale network device, known as a BRAS, that routes your traffic to Plusnet's data centre) which is not showing any problems.
If you run this test http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html?utm_source=mainsite&utm_medium=navigation&utm_campaign=... it will probably show the 6xHTTP is much better than the 1xHTTP.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

It could be congestion, there are likely to be a few different SVLAN's, you and your parents could be connected to different SVLAN's and the one you're connected to *could* be congested.
I'm not in the office at the moment, but, do you have a Static IP address at all? If so, could you set up a TBB Graph as per: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,106312.0.html
DanielAllsopp

Thanks, Chris, Andy and Tony.
I am on a static IP address so I'll set up the PING monitor and TBB Graph tomorrow. However, just before bed I'll post my current speed results at 11.30pm tonight:

I also have the results of the Think Broadband test too:

EDIT:
Last one of these, I promise, but here's my results from 7.50am today too: