cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC Bi-monthly slowdown

Kevin
Rising Star

FTTC Bi-monthly slowdown

Since Jan this year I have been suffering from a regular slow down every 2 months. It starts on the 18/19th of the month and ends on the 1st of the next month. SamKnows graphs attached.
Re starting the modem and router don't change it and there is no noise on the line. When it happens, new web pages take a long time to start to load, but then are fine.
Anybody got any bright ideas?Huh
Kevin.
21 REPLIES 21
Kevin
Rising Star

Re: FTTC Bi-monthly slowdown

As an extra, Jitter goes up, but upload speed remains fine.
BT test added
Kevin.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there,
As you've mentioned that upload doesn't seem to be affected and that there's no noise on the line we should be safe to assume that the copper section of the line isn't to blame for the issue.
Interference could be to blame but again as there's no symptoms relating to the copper line it's less likely to be within your premises which makes be thing that this could perhaps be an exchange issue.
I'd advise getting a <a href="http://faults.plus.net">fault</a> raised whilst this is an issue and whilst I don't mean this in a negative way have patience as this is an unusual problem but I do hope we're able to help get that resolved for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

If it's currently at a low speed it might be worth running a BT speedtest (with the 'further diagnostics') so confirm the BT IP profile - this will show whether the sync speed has dropped or if it's just throughput.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Kevin
Rising Star

Adam, I'll do that when I get home tonight. I just wondered if anybody had experienced this sort of thing before. The fact that it happens every 2 months on the same day for the same duration does make me think it's an exchange system being tested or something.
W23, I have, it's attached to my second post.  Wink
Kevin.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Sorry, missed that.  Embarrassed
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Kevin
Rising Star

Fault now raised ticket no. 76198332.
Latest BT test similar to last one.....
Kevin.
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

I lurk in a number of Broadband Forums (Fora!) and this sort of rang a bell. It seems remarkably similar to this thread on TBB http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/f/4172503-how-odd-another-speed-drop.html?vc=1. It has the same symptoms of 60 day cycle and around the19th of the month, with loss of download speed and increased jitter and latency. The OP seemed to sometimes be able to clear the problem by powering down the modem for  a while. The possible reason appeared to be some mismatch of the BT profiles ( nothing to do with the PlusNet profile as this guy was on Idnet) but why it happened every 60 days was not explained. I think there is another thread where the problem has been cured or has not happened at the expected 60 day interval. Hope this helps the PlusNet reps to sort out a rather unusual fault.  Smiley
Kevin
Rising Star

Yes, that sounds exactly like my problem!  I've not tried turning off the  modem and router for 15 mins,  but the  falult always seems to clear by the 1st of the next month as shown on the SamKnows graphs.
As yet, I have not had any contact from the Plusnet faults team, the ticket just says being investigated.
Hope something can be sorted out, as the next time will be over the Xmas period........ Angry
Kevin.
Kevin
Rising Star

Update.
Seems I'm not the only one then. Thanks to RealAleMadrid, I've got in contact with Andrue via TBB forum and he is/was having the same problem.
Kevin.
machare
Rising Star

How did you create the Samknows graphs?
Did you use the whitebox software?
Kevin
Rising Star

When you sign up  for monitoring, you get a login to the website where you can see what your box is logging.
Kevin.
machare
Rising Star

Thanks
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

We'll get your ticket picked up today and take a closer look.
Kevin
Rising Star

I was wondering when something was going to be done.....
If the fault follows its usual path, then it will fix itself by the 1st of November!
Kevin.