cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC Availability Confusion, who can I speak to, to help?

jfazzie

FTTC Availability Confusion, who can I speak to, to help?

I was wondering if someone could assist me, I've tried emailing nga.enquiries@openreach.co.uk to find the answer, but it seems that they're no longer responding to emails.
I have recently moved to:
Swallow Crescent
Ravenshead
Nottingham
NG15 9JJ
and I have just had a phone line activated with PlusNet Broadband. I know that my exchange (Blidworth) has been enabled, but at the time it wouldn't let me purchase fibre.
After now being in the village for some time and getting to speak to neighbours I've found that neighbouring streets have fibre available. However, as I live in a new estate with a new cabinet (P23) that was built in 2011 I’m not sure if the Database has been updated.
The cabinet to my street is on another street (Longdale Lane) after some investigation, I've found all the other existing cabinets on the whole street my cabinet is on have been fibre enabled and accepting orders (P5, Longdale Lane, P14 Longdale Lane), however my cabinet P23 is showing as not part of a phase and I am being told that fibre is not available to my street.
I'm not sure how the fibre is running from the exchange to the cabinets, but logically it doesn't make sense to bypass my cabinet.
Is there a way to still contact Openreach to see if the database hasn't been updated as I can't find anything on http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/ where I can contact them.
Thanks in advance, James
8 REPLIES 8
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: FTTC Availability Confusion, who can I speak to, to help?

What does http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome say about FTTC?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jfazzie

Hi,
The checker is showing below:
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 1.5 -- 1 to 3.5 Available
ADSL Max Up to 1 -- 0.75 to 2.5 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 2  -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 2  -- -- Available
However, I know the exchange is enabled and all the other cabinets on the street are too, so I'm not sure. I'm actually getting 8MB on the ADSL and not 3.5 it states which is why I'm thinking the Database could be incorrect.
Thanks
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Did it show you the cabinet number you expected?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi jfazzie,
I've just had a look into your account and currently FTTC is not available on your line. The technology itself is dependent on your exchange being enabled for the service but your cabinet that feeds to the exchange also needs to support the technology. There is unfortunately no way for us to check when the cabinet is going to be upgraded. This is however part of the constant work that is being done by BT Wholesale to bring fibre to as many people as possible.
The best thing I can advise is that you continue to check online and it's also worth looking on BT OpenReach's website and registering interest with them here:
http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/
peteb99
Dabbler

I had a very similar problem to jfrazzie when I initially tried to sign up to plusnet last year.  It was resolved by plusnet under http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,109504.msg937820.html#msg937820.
Could his phone number possibly be incorrect on the database?,      If you put his postcode in SamKnows it does say that FTTC is available which is exactly what I got, but when I put my phone number in it said I wasn't, the same as James.
Is there no way for the database to be checked and corrected if necessary like it was for me?
At the same time, if I was you James I'd speak to my neighbours to ask them what they currently have and if you can get their phone numbers off them you can see if they can get fibre.

LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for joining the thread peteb99.
I've had a look on SamKnows and even though the postcode is showing FTTC is available it doesn't necessarily mean that FTTC is available for this particular customer. Personally, my postcode was showing FTTC available for 9 months before my cabinet was enabled and I could actually get FTTC.
As you've already pointed out, James, your neighbours are connected to different cabinets to you and this would explain why they may be able to get FTTC and you aren't. Having checked your specific phone number in SamKnows it does support what I previously informed you.
Mathias
Grafter

Quote from: Linn
Hi jfazzie,
There is unfortunately no way for us to check when the cabinet is going to be upgraded.

Don't think this is technically true Linn. When i asked about when can i expect fibre to my cabinet in York, Chris Pettitt was able to find out some information with regards to my specific cabinet. So i believe it can be done, maybe ask Chris as to who he contacted and what he asked?
See my post here:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,123338.0.html
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

I was able to in your instance, however, in this instance, there are no plans to offer FTTC which is the difference in this case.