Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC Appointment?

balmedie
Dabbler

FTTC Appointment?

Hi Folks,
My FTTC appointment is due this afternoon between 1pm-6pm - no sign of anyone yet Sad - Is this a bad sign?
Im sure I am just worrying over nothing....
I'm also dreading the engineer looking at my External NTE (XNTE) and walking away (Im in a relatively new build house - no internal master sockets at all) - lets hope that doesn't happen!
Cheers
Paul
8 REPLIES 8
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: FTTC Appointment?

Hi Paul,
So you don't have a telephone socket? The socket is usually part of the build itself, so that's off if this is the case?
balmedie
Dabbler

I have phone sockets obviously - 3 standard looking phone sockets (no NTE5 type) - I have an XNTE on the outside of my house, a very common thing with any house built in the last 5 years (google BT XNTE)
balmedie
Dabbler

Hi Chris (sorry didnt say Hi in last post....very rude of me :))
Apparently all new house builds these days have external NTE's - which makes an FTTC install interesting if they are looking for non-existent master sockets - so few ISP's mention XNTE's when signing up for FTTC (i.e. none) - The XNTE is a grey box on my exterior wall with the BT Openreach logo on it - apparently they started doing this to make a clear demarcation point when doing troubleshooting they test to this box and that's it.
Cheers
Paul
balmedie
Dabbler

Hi Again...
Interesting post on another forum....
http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/cabling-faceplate-help/46003-external-nte-xnte-discontinued.html
Lets hope the guy who is coming today (is he still coming?) is aware of this????
Cheers
Paul
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi Paul,
The engineer is still scheduled to attend as far as I can see.
Fingers crossed the engineer has come across this before, I'd assume he/she has given the number of installations they do.
balmedie
Dabbler

Yay - All done and dusted, BT guy had to bypass the XNTE and install an NTE inside the house - but he did it all and sorted.
Now I just need to work out why its exactly the same speed download as it was before on ADSL2+ (and I mean exactly - about 13/14mb)
Is it settling in or is there a cap on it at the plus net end?
I note that the upload speed has gone up to about 13mb though?
Cheers
Paul
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

You need to get PlusNet to update their profile to your FTTC speed, this sometimes doesn't seem to happen after FTTC installations without some prodding, particularly on late appointments Smiley
balmedie
Dabbler

I had a feeling it was profile related - I will open a new forum post and raise a helpdesk ticket saying much the same Smiley
Many Thanks
Paul