Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC - A few questions

FoolishlyWise
Grafter

FTTC - A few questions

Hello all,
Ive got a few questions on what it would be like when my area recieves FTTC
(For some odd reason, the RFS date keeps shifting, First it was Sept 2011, Then December 2011, And now Sept 2012!)
But, even though its like One year and a month or two away, im still quite looking foward to nutcase speeds of 35meg+!, but just wanted to know:
1. When its installed, will everyones premisis get some sort of box thingy for the fibre thing?
2. (If no to question 1, this is irrelevent) Will EVERYONES premisis have this fitted, or will there be an option not to have it fitted?
3. Will people need to upgrade equiptment? (Like routers, etc)
4. Will the internet still be delivered down the phone line via the master socket? Or will people need new mastersockets?
5. Will it be a seamless upgrade or will there be need for engineers to come and fit things up?
6. Will I need a Fibre package to get the full speed? (Like the £16.49 one)

Thanks in advance, and sorry for all the questions. Im a big GT5 Player and like fast things (such as internet  :D)
Aman.
1 REPLY 1
AxeMurderer
Grafter

Re: FTTC - A few questions

(the reason the date keeps shifting is that they haven't actually set a firm date yet. When they quote a date that isn't the end of a quarter then the date is real)
1. No, fibre won't be compulsory. If someone stays on ADSL there is no impact. If someone takes fibre they will get a fibre modem in addition to needing a router.
3. If you take fibre you will probably need a new router (and with the current product, Plusnet will supply you with one anyway). Some existing routers are compatible; mine was/is. You won't need to upgrade anything else.
4. Still down the phone line, but it actually involves a replacement master socket...
5. and therefore it does require an engineer's visit
6. You need a fibre package to get fibre speeds. Or you can stay on your existing ADSL package at ADSL speeds
It IS fast! But check out the traffic management etc. for your chosen product before you commit. Fibre is traffic managed for many more hours than ADSL (in both cases the Pro add-on will remove this).