cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC 10/40 or 20/80 How can I check ?

Gussie
Grafter

FTTC 10/40 or 20/80 How can I check ?

I'm paying for Unlimited Broadband - activated yesterday.
Current line speed:
   38.6 Mb
Plusnet tell me I'm on 10/40 - after much persuasion yesterday  they promised to put me on 20/80 - takes 24 hours.
I'd like to confirm which profile I'm on for myself - can't see this setting anywhere in My Account pages.
The BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/? never gives me this info - the extra diagnostics check always fails with this message ...
" ... during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service ... "
So does anyone have a foolproof method of determining ones profile without having to ask Plusnet themselves.
25 REPLIES 25
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: FTTC 10/40 or 20/80 How can I check ?

unfortunately not
You could try a full speed test and see what the upstream speed is - if it is more than 10Mb then it has changed but if it isn't that doesn't prove anything
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

I've made sure that your order is in place to move from 40/10 to 80/20 to see if there is more we can get out of your line for you.
Using http://speedtest.btwholesale.com including 'Further Diagnostics' is your best bet for getting your current speeds and IP Profile.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Except as stated in the opening post - It doesn't work in this case
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It can take 14 days from the point of provision for it to work.
petecov44
Grafter

I'm on day 16 and still doesn't work so don't take that as Gospel OP
Gussie
Grafter

There have been several posts here complaining that the BT Wholesale Broadband Diagnostic Test is not working for Plusnet users who are well beyond 14 days into their contract.
It's time Plusnet and BT Wholesale explain the reasons for this.
This and the locked down modem means we cannot check our quality of service for ourselves easily.
May I remind folks that the BT Wholesale Broadband Diagnostic Test should provide the following information ...
Acceptable range of speeds (Mbps). - This is the speed range that we believe is acceptable for your broadband circuit and is measured in Mega-bits per second (Mbps). If your download throughput speed lies in this range, then there is no fault on your line and your broadband service is deemed to be working fine.
DSL Upstream connection rate (Mbps). This is the upstream broadband synchronisation rate (also known as line rate). Your broadband modem/router needs to synchronise with the broadband equipment within your local telephone exchange or street cabinet. When the equipment synchronises it agrees on a maximum rate that data can be transferred between them. This line rate (or synchronisation rate) will always be higher than the actual throughput speed you can achieve when uploading/sending data.
DSL connection rate – Downstream (Mbps). This is the downstream broadband synchronisation rate (also known as line rate). Your broadband modem/router needs to synchronise with the broadband equipment within your local telephone exchange or street cabinet. When the equipment synchronises it agrees on a maximum rate that data can be transferred between them. This line rate (or synchronisation rate) will always be higher than the actual throughput speed you can achieve when downloading/receiving data.
IP profile rate (Mbps) – To ensure your line doesn’t receive more data than it can cope with; we set a parameter within our network called IP Profile. This profile will be slightly less than the DSL connection rate negotiated by your router. If this wasn’t set we may try to transmit more data to you than your broadband circuit can managed and this would end up having a negative effect on your broadband speed.
Assured Rate IP Profile* (Mbps) - This is the IP rate for the Quality of Service (QoS) session. This is the rate at which priority traffic can be sent to your device. This rate will only be displayed if the priority traffic test has been completed.
Assured Rate - download speed - This is the actual throughput speed that was achieved during the priority traffic test.

We do have a right to see this information!
chrcoluk
Grafter

The btwholesale test that shows your profile can let you know.
Everyone on 80/20 regardless of sync speed will have a 20mbit upload IP profile.
Gussie
Grafter

I still do not know and cannot check for myself if I'm now on 20/80 or still on 10/40  - my speed has not changed.
I did receive a text on Friday about my "fibre order" being submitted but nothing since then.
The BT Wholesale Broadband Diagnostic Test is still showing an error and there is contradictory advice on exactly what to do in response to a change in IP profile.
Some say reboot the router and do not touch the modem and  some say reboot the modem - which is it?
Coming from years of using ADSL2+ where I could see every minutiae of line statistics - FTTC seems very locked down and mysterious with both Openreach and the ISP tightly controlling these details.. 
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

You're on the 80/20 product.
You shouldn't need to reboot anything at all, any changes that need to be made will automatically drop your sync. We're not tightly controlling such details, we get very few bits of data as it stands, purely because Openreach haven't yet (but are working on) systems to allow us to have more information so that we can share that with you.
I'll provide your Line information as an attachment on this post. As you can see, it looks as though there could, potentially, be a Telephone Fault - this looks likely as your line is erroring quite a lot. I think Interleaving will probably go on in the near future if the lien continues to operate as it is now. We're not your telephone provider until 26/06/2014 so we can either wait until this date to check over your line or you have the option of contacting your current phone provider to get them to run a Copper Line test to see if it picks anything up.
I've made a few changes to your speed profile in the meantime which should improve things for you whilst you have the phone line looked at. Your connection may drop within the next few hours whilst this change takes effect. To speed this up, you can restart your router (not modem) as this will have no negative effect on your connection.
xreyuk
Grafter

Chris/OP.
Would he need to drop his sync on purpose to potentially resync at a higher rate?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

For the changes that I've made, no, just a PPP session drop, which is why a router reboot should be fine.
To re-sync at a higher rate, yes a sync drop will be required. Getting the Voice Issue looked at first, should be a priority over looking at improving the current sync rate though as that fault could be the cause of it.
Gussie
Grafter

Sorry been away for awhile ...
Put my new Asus RT-AC66U online and was surprised to see this ....

A bit different to what it was ...

although the upstream is unchanged - well 0.1 down.
I cold booted the modem whilst swapping the routers today - have I resynced at a higher rate ?
Pretty sure yesterday I was still at the old download rate.
Do you really think I have a voice fault?
Should I ring 150 and ask for a "Copper Test" - will this be a quick test that they do instantly?
Or should I wait until Plusnet assumes responsibility for the line on the 26th ?
petecov44
Grafter

You could always dial 17070 and press option 2 for a quiet line test and listen for the noise.
PN can't do anything until they take control they don't even have access to it via the diags. or didn't use to.
Up to you which way you go.
Gussie
Grafter

Dialling 17070 and pressing option 2 -  Seems very quiet to me.
I'm assuming it's the Errored Seconds and Egres Coded Violation stats that indicate a possible line fault?
Maybe the errors have been there all the time 6+ years of  troublefree 13Mbps ADSL2+ usage - before that 8Mbps, 4Mbps, 1Mbps and 512kbps - at that time HP were paying £29.99 for my fast 512kbps to allow me to work fom home. And before that I remember good old Demons dial up service all 56kbps of it at the end. but I digress ...
Might aswell wait for Plusnet to take over the line in three days time before chasing any potential fault,  the chasing will be done by Openreach anyway.
Whatever speed profile changes Chris did - it increased my download fom 38 to 51Mbps that's impressive - but it did not increase upload speed - why would that be?