cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FON.com and PN

glocal
Rising Star

FON.com and PN

Does anyone here use fon.com to offer/receive WiFi connectivity? With BT actively promoting this through btfon.com this seems to be gathering momentum, although of course you could and I believe you still can signup with FON without being a BT customer. My concerns are:
* Is using FON allowed by PN's T&Cs?
* Is this likely to increase bandwidth used dramatically to the point that you will need to buy several additional GBs? It could slow things down for you too, but I understand you can set limits.
* How about other FON users using your connection to access illegal material or otherwise break T&Cs? I understand others use a separate public key for access to your proprietary router, but others on the Internet may still associate your IP with the activity.
* I understand you must leave your router on 24/7, even while away on holidays, if you don't want to lose your FON privileges. This has certain environmental and fire hazard implications.
* This is not the point, but while I am at it, FON also offers to share revenue from those people paying for access to your router. This could cover the cost of additional bandwidth. Any experience of this?
Michael
4 REPLIES 4
James
Grafter

Re: FON.com and PN

Hi Michael,
From what I can remember this has been asked before and previously I answered that there is nothing in our terms and conditions that would disallow this, although you have to be aware that you are responsible for the traffic that comes from your connection.
zubel
Community Veteran

I understand from a brief flick through the literature that the Fon router encrypts traffic over a tunnel to the remote Fon servers.  This traffic is then let loose upon the internet at large.
What this means is that any traffic generated by a Fon subscriber over your link would actually trace back to Fon themselves, and ultimately through them to the subscriber (and not the provider)
Very much like a VPN with a remote default gateway
B.
Not applicable

You are still responsible for paying for the bandwidth though if your Fon Zone becomes a very popular one.
Thats about the only danger/downfall I can see with the system.
itsme
Grafter

I've used FON for the last 2 months for the reason that I want free wireless access when I go abroad. To date no one has used my connection so it has not increase my bandwidth usage. So unless you near a pub or coffee bar don't get if you want to make money. You can set the amount of bandwidth you are prepared to give away and if you are running the FON router through another router you can then control the type of traffic passing through the FON router.
All connections to the open ssid are logged and can be viewed on your account on the FON website. The open ssid can only be accessed by subscribes to FON or payg users who will either use a credit card or paypal. So there is traceability.